recommended Portable Air Compressors

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Nedula, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Nedula

Nedula New Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for a smaller air compressor that would be usable to fill the trailer tires on my PUP. Needing to be able to get them to 80-85psi. I don't really want to spend a ton of money and preferably can run off of power from my TV (2015 Ford Escape - Titanium) and also doesn't take 30mins per tire.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

I've never owned one but I used one last week and it worked great. Black and Decker Air Station, around $55. 110vac or 12vdc and it will pump to 160 PSI. 1 year warranty too and it's not Harbor Freight - but it's made in the same country as their stuff.

3. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

4. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

5. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I have something very similar that I bought years ago at Pep Boys, I believe. It hooks up to the battery terminals, not a 12V outlet.

6. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Don't mess with those cigarette lighter compressors as they take 2 minutes just to fill a bicycle tire to 40 psi.
    MasterFlow MF-1050 Air Compressor https://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-1050-MasterFlow-Compressor/dp/B000L9AD2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473971449&sr=8-1&keywords=master+flow+air+compressoris what I have been using for 3 years now rated at 2.54 CFM which is more than double the cigarette lighter versions.
    I can fill a truck tire from 0 psi - 80 in about 5 minutes with this and the little pup tires will take about 3 - 4 minutes maybe less if they are the 10" tires.
    [​IMG]

7. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We have an A/C powered air compressor and a battery powered air compressor

Both work great. We use the 12V battery powered at the campsite because sometimes tires lose some air. Many gas stations air compressors don't go up to 65 pounds we need. We have a good quality one. Cheaper quality 12V air compressors take a long time. Ours is fast.

8. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

The 12v one I listed above works pretty fast for a 12v. Was boondocking on a gravel road and between the group we were camping with, we had 5 flat tires. Luckily one guy brought box of plugs and I had the compressor. Fixed them all fairly quickly.

9. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I have a 12 compressor in the pickup, down to only 1 120V at home. I carry a large hand pump for bicycles. My 13 inch trailer tires run at 50. If one is down to say 45, I will use the hand pump so I don't have to get out the hose, and put it away. Not sure it would work on the OP's 85, but for many it would be a cheap option, and if your kid has fun working it, win win...

10. Nedula

Nedula New Member

Thanks all! I got one from Canadian Tire up here and decided to go with one that cost a little more but when reading review i would have had to buy a new one in a year o if I went cheaper sooo worth in the long while :)

11. turborich

turborich Active Member

I agree about the compressors that plug into the 12 volt auxiliary/cigarette lighter, they are junk for the most part. The one pictured above is a good unit that works well. I have used others manufactured by Viair that are great as well, however they all need to hook up directly to the battery to be worth a damn.

12. R00

R00 Active Member

Anything going through a cigarette lighter pulls 5 amps max.

My ViAir 400P pulls 40 amps at the battery.

Pretty simple, mathematically...

13. madmaths

madmaths Member

+1 on this viair rock! Have one in my jeep [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

14. turborich

turborich Active Member

I have an on board air system on both vehicles, everything is automatic. There is a quick connect air chuck mounted near the receiver hitch. If I need air then I just plug the 25 foot coiled hose in and start airing up. The compressor is wired directly to the battery via a 30 amp relay which only operates when the key is at the ON or RUNNING position. A pressure switch turns on at 80 PSI and off at 110 PSI. I also have a small air storage tank along with air horns on each truck.

The air horns are not only fun, but have probably saved me from a few accidents as they get your attention real quick! While driving out to an old abandoned ghost town a tire was punctured pretty bad. Along with the on board air and my emergency tire plug kit we made it back home where the tire had to be replaced. Another time a fellow motorist had a flat tire and his spare was very low, so I pumped it up for him.

Most of theses compressors that clamp to the battery are good for airing up tires, Viair makes some of the best IMO. I just like to have everything automatic. Same with my GPS and dash camera, all hard wired and permanently mounted. I HATE seeing wires!!!

Attached Files:

15. R00

R00 Active Member

I've been drawing a version of your setup in my head for a long time, just need to commit $$$ to it.

One idea is to enclose the whole thing in a cross bed toolbox...

16. turborich

turborich Active Member

There's a Youtuber I watch named AvE from Canada. He says that he won't step foot into a Canadian Tire, he calls it "Cambodian Tire" since almost everything is made there! He also says that some placed called Princess Tools is the equivalent of Harbor Freight of Canada. You should check him out, very funny and informative. Do all Canadians curse like sailors? LOL.

17. tsc

tsc Member

"Effing right we do eh?"

I'm a huge fan of Princess Auto.... But, one has to be weary when shopping there (I'm guessing it's the same as Harbor Freight); you have to know your products and understand the quality is reflective in it's price.

18. turborich

turborich Active Member

You can piece one together yourself or you can buy a kit on Ebay. Some are very reasonable. I have pieced a few systems together as well as bought complete kits. You'll probably save money by just buying a complete set up. [2C]

19. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I have the same compressor and it will easily fill my 12" tires to 85psi ( before I switched to radials).
    It will pop the inline fuse if you have it connected to the tire that is already around 50psi and turn it on. But if you turn it on and then connect to the tire it works great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

20. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

I love my Viair 88P