Recommended stops for towing?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Ro Sank, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Ro Sank

Ro Sank New Member

Hi,
    This may seem like an odd question, but i have a long distance trip coming up next month, so just want to ask and see what others experiences are.
    We're planning to drive from Houston to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. It's about a 10 hour/650 mile drive. We have a 2007 Rockwood Freedom 1640 (around 1400lbs) and we tow it with a 2014 Toyota Highlander. I just got the bearings re-packed and we did a weekend trip to a campsite about an hour away a couple of weekends back.
    Any suggestions on how many times/how often we should stop along the way on a long trip? Every couple of hours? Every time we stop for gas enough?
    Thanks.

G

2. mandinga

mandinga Member

Everytime you need to pee really bad. There is no need to stop just because. Gas, food, bathroom are the only reasons I stop. I do my best to avoid doing any of them on route.

Orchid, Alan, Fbird and 1 other person like this.
  3. chambo

chambo Active Member

Agreed. As long as everything is in good mechanical order, no need to stop "just because". But when I do stop for gas, food, bio break, etc, I give everything a once over and check the hubs for heat.

Lloyd B, sierrapup and Fless like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

For me no reason to stop other than your usually, potty and gas breaks. Those short breaks are usually long enough. Now if I was traveling over a mountain or used the pups breaks excessively I would try and find a place to stop to see how everything is and perhaps rest for about 15 min. Although like mentioned above as long as everything is working as it should and barring repacked you should be fine.

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Our annual 6 hour drive to our favorite state park we got down to one stop 3 hours from home, top off with gas and nature break and get fresh 32 oz. soda and a snack that gets us to the park. Myself, DW, and 5 year old DD make this trip once a year.
    Palo Duro Canyon great park, check weather forecast cause it can change quickly this time of year.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that when towing, the drive will be longer then it would be without.. The rule I use (and so far it has been fairly accurate is to add 30 minutes (when towing) for every two hours of of driving (when not towing).. If Google Maps says it will take 10 hours you'll be closer to 12-14 hours when actually towing ..

90% of the time the only stop we make is to fill up with gas, refill the coffee cups and bathroom breaks for the humans and dogs.. On long trips like from Toronto to Pennsylvania or Tennessee (with nights camping in Ohio and Kentucky along the way) in addition to the above stops there were stops to eat lunch and to stock up on food. On a long trip like this I'm willing to tow up to 8 hours in a day, this allows time to check-in and get set up and start dinner before it gets too dark out.

crackerJack, Fbird and PopUpSteve like this.
  7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

If you just got the bearings repacked, I would recommend you stop every hundred miles to check the lugnuts. Keep checking until they stay tight. Losing a wheel along the highway is no fun at all.

8. Ro Sank

Ro Sank New Member

Thanks for all the great tips! will keep the longer duration in mind. We're planning to leave really early (around 5.30am), so hopefully can get there before dark!

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

As others said, no need to stop unless you are full and the fuel tank is empty. However, my personal experience is that I do need to add 30 minutes onto the trip for every two hours towing. Examples, I travel to and from Moab quite often (6.5 to 7 hour trip mostly dependent upon the craziness going through SLC) regardless of having a trailer or without the trailer. My stops, fuel and rest areas, are always the same going and coming. Same with trips to and from Cody WY.
    However, I do the same speed limit towing or not towing. So that might be the difference.

JPBar likes this.
  10. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Only 650 mile from home, I would get up early and take off asap and go straight without stop for the night, unless the road condition is too much winding, steep up & down all the way.

11. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't stop for RV considerations, I do stop hourly to move around and get the circulation going.

12. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

As above, I stop when we need to, which happens to be about every 2 or 3 hrs at this point. But when I do stop, I always do a walk around safety check.

sierrapup and jmkay1 like this.
  13. p

p Active Member

We have done the Vancouver to Calgary (11 ish hours) without a stopover twice. We did stop in Salmon Arm on the way back so that the kids could go for a swim. As I recall, the wife hated the long drive both times.

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

We drive 800+ miles at a time. Did it three times on the last trip. You just load up and drive, stop for gas and bathroom, make a snack or sandwich at the stop. Switch drivers when you need to. Get to see a lot of scenery, it really is not that stressful, especially if you are driving out west where there tends to be minimal traffic.

15. Criket

Criket New Member

When you check the hubs for heat build up, do you just touch with your hand or do you use a digital laser thermometer?

I’ve always used my hand but not sure if it’s the best method

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I use a digital contact thermometer from Harbor Freight. They are about 10.bucks. I use it for hubs and the tires.

Criket likes this.
  17. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

My truck and trailer "...are in good working orger...", but I personally am not. Something about being well into my 70's. So I plan on stopping every two to two and a half hours for ten minutes of walking around. If I try to four or more hours the first few steps out of the cab are a bit unsteady.

HotelRoyale likes this.
  18. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

If there are kids along for the trip that may change your plan to stop a bit. Our rule is bathroom break and fuel stops are reason to walk around and check if everything is still hooked up. The previous replies are all pretty much how we travel. Enjoy your trip making memories.

19. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I guess I'm old-school, I always use the back of my hand.

20. Ro Sank

Ro Sank New Member

thank you for all the great responses! we have made a couple of short weekend trips with the new-to-us camper. we are looking forward to this longer trip to what we're heard is known as "one of the ten best camping spots in texas!" i'll definitely keep all the good advice in mind for the trip there and back!

G