Recommended stops for towing?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Ro Sank, Oct 23, 2017.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have driven from NJ to Montana and Wyoming on different rips and the only time we would stop is for gas, food or that pee break you can't avoid! As long as everything is in good mechanical shape there is no reason you need to stop "Just because". We have done 600 mile days with no problems what so ever!

2. Ky bob

Ky bob New Member

3. Ky bob

Ky bob New Member

Stops are a personal thing. Whatever you are comfortable with, we stop about every two hours to stretch. I am 76 and Dwight is 75 and has to use a walker. In younger days stopped for fuel and sometimes a meal—

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Medical experts recommend that it is unhealthy to sit for long periods of time. I personally find it beneficial to stop every 100 miles/two hours to get out, stretch, walk a bit and get the blood circulating. I also believe the occasional break makes you a safer/better driver.

Lloyd B and Ky bob like this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I do NOT stop for anything under 2 hour trip. When I do, it is always a good reason - lunch, or dinner time. I would bundle all reasons in one stop: gas, restroom, meal. I do not like to stop but I will if I have to.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I'm with KY bob.The 7 or 800 mile towing days are history. I max out at 500 or so. Gives me time to see the sights and set up. much less stress. Out west you can make more miles. Yea I guess I'm turning into a tourist.

7. Ky bob

Ky bob New Member

8. Ky bob

Ky bob New Member

That would be Dear Wife

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We usually combine our stops (gas, food and bathrooms). We also make sure to add side trips to our travels. The 500-600 mile days are mostly on the return trip home.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

If I'm traveling by myself, I can still combine gas, food and bio break into one stop. But with DW, it's every couple hours.
    When we were younger and DW was six months pregnant, we drove from Vero Beach, FL to Kansas City, stopping about every hour for a pee break and another Diet Coke. Go Figure. [:)C]

shuang2 likes this.
  11. Ro Sank

Ro Sank New Member

Thanks for all the great responses.
    So, here's how it went down.....we left Houston at around 5am Saturday morning. We made 3 stops, one at around 9am, one at lunchtime and one at around 2.30pm. Got gas and food all 3 times and walked the dog and used the facilities. Got to the park at around 4pm in the afternoon, which was perfect, because we got the camper and the site setup before it got dark!
    Same process on the way back, except we left at around 10am on wednesday, so we got back at 9pm.
    The Palo Duro Canyon is awesome!! Highly recommend it for the views, trails and scenery!

G