Recreation.gov

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Brad Metzger, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

I just canceled a 2 day trip that was 64.00 total for the reservation. I was told I would get only 16.00 back due to late cancellation (I expected a fee for this) and 29.00 order processing. I WILL NEVER USE THIS SERVICE AGAIN. What a waste of tax payer money. [:(!]

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Re: Recreatin.gov

The cancelation policy is explained right there on the website, including the non-refundable deposit portion and the cancellation fee. Did you not read the terms and conditions? Sorry, but I just can't see getting all huffy-puffy when everything is spelled out there in black and white.

3. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

It's actually not "taxpayer money." The government privatized the reservation system and contracted out the work to Reserve America, which operates Recreation.gov. The site replaced the former "taxpayer" site reservations.nps.gov, ReserveUSA.com, and the National Recreation Reservations Service.

Your beef is with a private company. The Bush administration awarded the contract to Reserve America in 2004, and they were quick to institute new fees and rate hikes.

It's capitalism at its worst, or best, as some would argue.

4. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

travelhoveler, thanks for the correction. The .gov through me and i assumed, you know what happens when one does that.

cwolfman13, yes it does state it, but I don't have to like it and again, I think this is complete horse apples and choose to voice MY opinion that I think this is a RIP off. I think they are a bit excessive considering this is an electronic transaction. Sorry, but if no one ever complains, nothing ever changes. I will refrain from being huffy and puffy next time something occurs I don't like.

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

If it helps, we camp pretty much year round and almost never make reservations, and almost never have trouble finding space in campgrounds as long as we arrive by early afternoon.

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

More correctly, it should be called Reserve North America as they are a Canadian Corp from Ontario.

You might like this site to voice your gripes.
    http://www.reserveamericasucks.com/

And my Canadian friends, please don't take offense. I am sure most of you would refer to yourself as Canadians, not Americans.
    North Americans, Maybe.

I am unhappy with most of the State Governments who outsource these jobs and then allow the reservation system that the State hired to charge us additional money for those reservations.
    At least the Federal Government doesn't allow them to charge us additional monies to make the reservation.

Just my [2C]!!!

7. muffyluvscamping

muffyluvscamping New Member

In California, if you don't have a reservation, you no camp. There are a few first come first serve campgrounds, but getting a spot in popular places is very iffy. Now with the closing of state parks due to our budget crisis, its going to get worse. Yeah! Camping at the last minute is hard for us.

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I thought with Recreation.gov you could reschedule your reservation to another place and date? That way you don't lose any of your money that you paid in.

Campit

9. EK41

EK41 Member

They may not charge an additional fee for federal, but they charge more for a reserved site. Last week I made reservations at Glacier NP, for next weeks trip. For the campgrounds that you can reserve its $23 a night. At campgrounds that are first come first severed, its $20 a night. In Glacier the campgrounds are either 100% reserveable or 100% non-reserveable. This was the first time I have ever reserved a site.

10. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We've camped in California without reservations. Yosemite, Death Valley, around Mono Lake, Mt. Lassen and other places, and in high summer season, too. There may be places where reservations are necessary, especially developed campgrounds with hookups or on the coast, but it's an overstatement to claim you can't camp in the Golden State without reservations.

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I know they have Canadian offices in Mississauga, but aren't they owned by Ticketmaster, which in turn is owned by Live Nation, which would make them a California-based company? Ticketmaster acquired ReserveAmerica in 2001, or at least claims it did.

12. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

here is the Wiki for them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReserveAmerica

ReserveAmerica of New York, USA is a company that provides online campsite reservation processing for private, state and federal campgrounds in the United States. They claim to be the "#1 Access Point for Outdoor Recreation", processing more than 3.5 million camping reservations per year, with more than 150,000 campsites available.

The company was founded in 1984 as a software development company specializing in reservations for the local recreation industry. In 1992, the company developed a reservation system for state and federal park systems, which they claim processed the industry's first online reservation in September, 1997. In 2001, they were acquired by InterActiveCorp, which owns Ask.com, Citysearch and Match.com.

ReserveAmerica has provided reservations services for the National Park Service since 1997. In June, 2005, the United States Forest Service awarded the company a $97 million contract to provide a single source federal recreation information and reservation service. As of December, 2005, the reservation service offers centralized information for more than 57,000 campgrounds, cabins, parks and tours of national sites, historic homes and caves through a single Web-based portal at www.recreation.gov. Besides the Forest Service, participating agencies include the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the Bureau of Reclamation and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Company also has some state parks contracts.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I figure the charges are the literal price we pay for the convenience of reserving campsites. I am not going to get into a debate on that one, we choose to do that many times (though not always), rather than take a chance in finding a nice spot, or any spot at all, at the end of an often-long travel day. The NF group site we've used several years for the church camping trip is reservation-only.
    We understand that when we make reservations, we will forfeit some money if we choose to re-schedule, though we don't do that often. Against the extra stress, time and gas we might have spent searching for a site that making reservations has saved us over the years, we're still ahead.
    The most hassle we've had in probably 15+ years of making reservations was last year, with the group trip. The NFs were closed much longer than usual, and that campground was closed even longer, as the installation of flush restrooms was delayed by the closure. I kept checking, and was finally told the site was still closed, so we contacted everyone who had signed up, so we could all go to whatever "Plan B" we had. Then, I found out that the group site was open, though the rest of the campground was not (I think the forest surrounding it was closed too, still, so we'd have been confined to the campground). The reservation service had to have official notice, I had to get the supervisor of the local NF office involved, but we got the first night fee we were supposed to be forfeiting (because it was less than 2 weeks notice) back. This year, we made sure to schedule the cancellation date before the 2-week deadline; we did indeed have to cancel. [This year, for lack of people signing up, we might have had enough if we'd waited, since people seem to wait until the last minute to decide on the best offer of the weekend, or something.]

14. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ohhhhhh, there is SOOO much to be said about them being owned by the same company that owns match.com .....i'll start i'll start .... you'd think they'd have some singles only reservations available more often huh [:D] [:D] [:D]

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I hate reservations and don't use them. I have a philosophical objection to them and consider them a financial ripoff with all of the add-on fees. I rarely have trouble getting into a place I want to camp, even in California. On the few occasions when my Plan A campground has been full I've just gone to Plan B.

BTW, I think that a private company operating with a .gov suffix is deceitful. It ought not be allowed.

17. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Yikes, I've used Reserve America and Reserve.gov for all of my trips. The only problem I had was in trying to figure out how to cancel one trip, (weather too bad) and found out too late that I'd have to call them. I really wasn't too upset, I figured my fee would go to supporting a State Park. I've had no problems with any of the trips that I've made to the parks - it was a breeze.

Two thoughts:
    1. I like state and national parks, and this is the way to book them now. Yes, it's through a private organization, but if it guarantees you a spot, all the better.
    2. Like anything else in America, you pay for convenience. I'm OK paying a little more to book online, knowing that I'll have the spot I want when I get out there, and any private business in America helps support our economy.

Privatization of services is the American way. As long as the service fulfills my needs, I'm OK continuing with them. Plus, the fees for State/National parks through Reserve America are lower than private campgrounds, so I'm still getting a good deal.

18. papachaz

papachaz New Member

love the last part of your post! i wish i had the guts to just take off and camp without reserving a site. I know there are a lot of you who do, but i'm just too obsessive compulsive to take off for a trip of any length without having my sites reserved. a few years ago, DW and i decided to take an early Nov (our anniversary) trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. all our married life going to the smokies, we'd seen the signs for it, and decided to just take a week off and go. Ok, so early November, Smokey Mountains, absolutely one of the most gorgeous places in the world to go site seeing for fall colors.....we didn't have any rooms reserved (didn't have a camper to take at that time) and man oh man, there were a couple of nights i thought we'd have to sleep in the car! never again.....

i like reserve america and recreation.gov, most of their campgrounds honor my access pass, so i know i'll get enough of a discount to cover the reservation fees. i do agree though that a private business shouldn't be allowed to use the .gov internet addresses

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Not only do I not have a reservation for a specific place, there are often times when I pull away from the house without the slightest clue of where I'm going. I decide on the road. If one place doesn't work out another will. Think feather on the wind. Embrace the ambiguity.

20. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I prefer not to reserve, 1st come, 1st serve works fine for 99% of my camping. If I have to reserve, I try not to use Reserve.Gov if at all possible.