Recycling, reuse...just do it!

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by JLE, May 10, 2019.

1. Daveydavedavedave

Daveydavedavedave New Member

We're teaching our kids to pick up garbage along the way. We carry poo bags (God rest ye, and all good doggos of yore) when we have the where-withal to remember. I did it when I was a kid, and fell out of the habit as a teen. One of my favorites now is doing a lap of whatever campsite, and seeing it cleaner each lap.

2. Fil_Kay

Fil_Kay Member

I never thought about this specifically while camping, but it makes sense.

For about the last 10 years or so, the places we've lived in had gone to separating organics from "regular" trash, with pickups alternating every week; as a result, I got used to putting anything biodegradable (including paper towels used for drying hands or wiping up water/food spills) into the greens bin. We also do what we can to minimize food waste; I hate throwing out food, so we aim to buy food that will keep long enough for us to enjoy it, and we only make as much as needed. Anything recyclable gets put into the recycling, and (fortunately) the city I'm in now doesn't limit the amount of recycling you can put out per week. I can't guarantee that the recycling makes it to where its supposed to go, but I hope it does. We also have deposits for any kind of canned/bottled beverages, so those get put aside and taken to the bottle depot once it's worth it. We still do produce some trash, but we fill a kitchen bag about every 2 weeks, which coincides nicely with the trash pickup periods.

For the most part, this has carried over to our camping. Things get put into reusable containers for use in the trailer, and we keep three bags on the go: one for organics, one for recycling, and one for trash. I'd like to go boondocking (or at least service-less) eventually, and we've only got a 10 gallon grey water tank (which is heavy enough when full), so we're trying to watch our water usage as well. I've got no issues drinking tap water, however; I filter it if possible, but it tends to be good enough that the only bottled water we tend to have is a couple flats at home for emergencies.

I do occasionally get a flash of clarity in which I realize I could/should be doing more for the environment, but I'm making incremental changes on my path to becoming eco-friendly.