Red Canyon in Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area

Discussion in 'Utah' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I specified Flaming Gorge in the title because there is another Red Canyon CG in Utah near Bryce Canyon. This one is in the Ashley National Forest and is located at the extreme southern end of the gorge at an elevation of 7,400 feet. It literally sits right on the edge of the cliff and has fabulous views. Get there by taking Forest Road 095 (aka Red Canyon Road) north from Utah 44, approximately 40 miles north of Vernal, Utah. The CG opens when the snow melts in the Spring and closes in mid-September.

This FCFS CG has ten sites but the host occupies two of them. When we arrived at 3:15 PM all the others were free and only one other site was claimed later that evening. Each site has a table and fire ring. There are no hookups. The sites are large and far apart. Water is available in spigots scattered around the loops. The toilets are vaults. There is trash collection but no dump station. The roads are paved but the site pads are packed gravel. Ours was pretty level but some of the others were a bit uneven.

The area is dirt, grass and sage with a scattering of Lodgepole and Ponderosa Pine. There is no tall ground vegetation to provide privacy but that doesn't matter when the place is almost empty. It was 87F with 17% humidity and a light breeze when we arrived. I loved it! At 10:30 PM it was 72F and quite comfortable for sitting around in shorts and a T-shirt. One of the things we liked was the absolute silence at night.

The Red Canyon Lodge is just a few miles down the road. It has a store and restaurant (pricy). You can also rent a canoe to paddle or fish on a small lake or take horseback rides. I preferred the paved trails around the Visitors Center which included several outlook points over the gorge, similar to those at the Grand Canyon.

Here are two views of our campsite at Red Canyon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We drove by Flaming Gorge NRA on our first trip to Utah. Would love to camp there someday.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I just realized that I forgot to mention the fees for Red Canyon. It was $18 per night so I paid $9. We were there two nights.

4. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Thanks for sharing your extended trips with us, UT. For many of us in the east, we will most likely never get to camp in the west. Your topography and landscapes are so different out there, and it is nice to get to see all those pictures and read the descriptions.