Red LED String Lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by DJFav, Sep 30, 2018.

1. DJFav

DJFav Member

We are so geeked about our new pup and have been proactively buying things for it even before bringing him home. Amazon and MasterCard love us!! Anyway, I read somewhere that the best color for sting (or rope) lights is red to not attract bugs. Is this true?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Red does not attract sea turtles when camping on the coastal islands. I suggest camping a few times to see what you need and use. I find there are many things that just add weight and are never used.

rescamilla, Orchid, kcsa75 and 2 others like this.
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I like sea turtles. What color would attract them in WV?

rescamilla and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use an LED head lantern and I find the red and green color does not attract as many bugs as the white light does. With that said, there are still some bugs that would come to any light no matter what color. There is no light that would chase them away unfortunatly. I wouldn't go all out buying a bunch of stuff till you get a couple trips under your belt. More stuff you bring the more stuff you unpack and have to set up or in some cases never get unpacked at all and just waste space. I've been thinking about buying LED lights that change color. So When I'm cooking under the awning I would like a nice soft white so I can see what I'm doing, sitting by the fire perhaps a soft red so my night vision isn't all Wacco and I can still see my awning ropes. Then again I do a lot of dry camping and don't want the excess lights running down my battery so why bother.

rescamilla, hayyward and DJFav like this.
  5. DJFav

DJFav Member

Appreciate responses! Please know I am a minimalist! We're not going gung-ho on any/every thing to buy "just to have"! LOL I SO get that and have told DH just because we have the space, we DO NOT need to fill every space!! So far purchased things needed, such as OE screenroom ($$$) as aftermarket has velco vs zip, ground mat that extends screenroom, water filter and pressure, power converter, gray water containers, hoses, etc. Must haves. [:D]

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I think maybe pink or purple

WVhillbilly likes this.
  7. WVhillbilly

You'll use that screen room a time or two, get tired of messing with it and never touch it again.
    I don't even like messing with my awning.

I hang a lantern far enough away that it keeps the bugs off of us, and close enough to keep us from falling over our feet in camp. We don't even have a camp fire all the time, sitting in the dark doesn't bother me.

8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I can't speak for LED lights, but Coleman liquid fuel lantern users have used amber globes for decades to minimize bug attraction.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. DJFav

DJFav Member

10. DJFav

DJFav Member

WVH, does your screenroom attach to your awning by velco or zipper? I can see why velco can be a pain, but I'm hoping zipper is easier. We plan on using it for 2+ night stays, and only if the need arises.

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I use Kirkman lanterns and Tike torches around the campsite., and have never any bug issues. and yes we do keep a fire going.
    Had a screen room and it also was more trouble than it was worth

12. WVhillbilly

I had a bit of a heads up on those before we spent too much money on one.
    If we had one it would velcro in. You can get a stand alone screen gazebo if you really needed it, they would probably be easier to deal with.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. WrkrBee

Sounds like that would attract three legged unicorns.

rescamilla and supersaiyan93 like this.
  14. WrkrBee

15. Overland

Overland Active Member

Glad I don't have to deal with bugs typically.. I don't start camping till September. Tiki torches with citronella lamp oil helps as well.

16. WVhillbilly

Not native to this area.

rescamilla and supersaiyan93 like this.
  17. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Getting back to the question about lights, I have noticed that LED lanterns seem to attract less bugs. I only have the clear lenses on ours. We don't usually relay on much light, when we need it is usually just flashlight or headlamp. Of course there is usually a nice fire going to provide some light.

The red color is nice for night use, as it will not generally blind you or hamper your night vision once your eyes have adjusted to the darkness.

That said, I have a segment of rope light, incandescent, that I have across the width of my trailer under the rear bunk. Creates a nice glow, but has never drawn any insects that I have noticed. I end up storing a lot of stuff like folding chairs, extra firewood, etc, under the bunk and that rope light puts the illumination right where I want it for access to that stuff. Often leave it powered on overnight as my wife will sometimes need to walk to restroom overnight and it provides light for her. But it does not spill very far from the trailer.

DJFav likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Insects drawn to light (not mosquitoes) are drawn more strongly by shorter wavelengths. So red is a good choice.

DJFav likes this.
  19. DJFav

DJFav Member

We like to be low profile yet like the ambiance. We bought two 16' red rope/string lights (diming) and CANNOT wait to use them in FL come Feb!!!

TDS-MN likes this.
  20. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We only use our add a room once maybe twice a year for week long trips.
    It is worth every penny/hassle at the beach for a week.

I think the blue awning rope lights are cool.

DJFav likes this.