Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, NV.

Discussion in 'Nevada' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The NCA (BLM land) is a very large area with its eastern border about five miles west of NV 215 in Las Vegas. It contains a campground, a beautiful 13-mile loop drive, a large number of hiking trails and many rock-climbing opportunities. Red Rock Canyon Campground is located two miles east of the visitor center on W. Charleston Blvd (NV 159). It is one mile south on Moenkopi Road from the junction with W. Charleston Blvd. and has 71 sites including 14 walk-in sites. “Walk-in” means that you park your car in the lot and then carry your camping equipment down a trail to a campsite that is removed from the main camping area. The CG is FCFS and has no hook-ups, showers or dump station. It has many pit toilets (so you don’t have to walk very far) and water spigots are scattered around the CG. The roads and site pads are dirt but not too uneven. Each site has a table and fire ring. About half of the sites also have a shade ramada (mine did not). There is a trash facility. Quiet hours are 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM and generators are not allowed during quiet hours. The fee is $15. There is no privacy between sites because they are closely packed together and the vegetation is typical desert scrub and sage on sand. Being so close to Las Vegas, this CG becomes “Party Central” on weekend nights so I would not recommend it then. It is quite adequate as a base camp to see Las Vegas or hike or climb in the canyon. The CG will be closed May 29 – August 30, 2012. Elevation is about 2,500 feet.

Here are shots of my CS at Red Rock Canyon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]