Redoing my cabinets I need advice

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Buckeyechris, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Buckeyechris

Buckeyechris Member

IM getting ready to redo all of my cabinets and counters. The laminate is peeling on some of the cabinet doors. Any advise on handling this

2. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

I would try contact cement

3. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Buckeye,
    What do you mean by 'redo'?
    If you are going to paint them that can be done. See the forum for hints.
    Are you going to replace them or some of them? Replace hardware?
    Need some more info to help here bud.
    Thanks and happy camping.

4. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

My old counter tops were looking pretty bad. The particle board substrate had gotten wet and swelled up and the laminate itself was coming unglued. I rebuilt the tops using 1/2" exterior grade plywood for the substrate and a high-pressure laminate for the surface. I used 1x2 oak to edge the sides and front and stained it to match the rest of the cabinets. The mistake that I made was in using the 1x2 oak for the sides of the folding cabinet top. It is now too big to fold into place. I have to lift it up and place it into the storage position. Not a real big problem but something I would take into account if I ever did it again. I also eliminated the sink, as we never used it and it gave us more usable counter space in our 8' pup. I tried to attach pics but their file size seems to be too big.

5. Buckeyechris

Buckeyechris Member

I'm completely replacing every counter top. I'm gonna prime and paint all the cabinets. Replace all hardware. I'm also gonna lay some peel and stick flooring down. I sanded all the peeling laminate off the front of cabinets. Prob take 3 coats of primer to cover all the old laminate. But it will be worth it. Was thinking of using mdf for counters?

6. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

Are you going to paint of cover the MDF on the counters.... If you laminate the MDF it will be great but it you are just painting it, I would put several coats of paint to seal the MDF. MDF can act like a sponge with moisture on it even after its lightly painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Buckeyechris

Buckeyechris Member

Was gonna paint them. I like the laminate idea. What laminate would u recommend?

8. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

Any laminate would do and be a better countertop surface. Check Home Depot sometimes that have sheet laminate that you can buy. I believe they buy from Wilsonart.

I don't know how technical or handy you are with tools but it is not too hard to laminate countertops especially if you are making new ones to be installed.

9. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

I would stay away from the MDF because of 1, weight, and 2, susceptibility to moisture. For as small as the counter tops are and as little use as they'll get, ACX or BCX plywood should be sufficient. My original counter tops were made with MDF and that's why they swelled when they got wet. I'm sure that material was used by the factory as a cost-savings measure.

10. Buckeyechris

Buckeyechris Member

What about the edges. ?

11. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I bought a piece of laminated kitchen countertop at a household surplus store (like the Habitat for Humanity resale stores) and cut that to fit to replace my old counter top. It came out great!

12. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

There are a few ways to treat the edges. Let's say you bought some material that already has laminate on it then you can edge it with a iron on edging that can be bought at Lowe's. [​IMG]

This is the cheapest most durable method.

Now if you decide to buy a sheet of laminate and do it yourself then I would cut strips of the laminate and edge the counters first then laminate the top. Getting into doing this will require a hand router and a file and some craftsmanship on your part. But you will end up with a good and durable countertop.