Redwood Forest area? Mid October?

Discussion in 'California' started by Milehifireguy, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Milehifireguy

Milehifireguy New Member

Looking at a West Coast trip this fall with the family (3kids 12, 8, and 7), we really want to go to the redwood forest area . Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. scmatt9

scmatt9 New Member

Big Basin Redwoods is a must. Generally speaking, this portion of California has great weather that time of year. No hookups, and some sites are fairly small, so choose wisely. I was just there last month for three days and it was a blast.

3. CalKat

CalKat Member

Check out Hendy Woods State Park near Mendocino. Old growth redwood groves. My favorite camp site, but I can share. The campsites are in a redwood grove so dense the sun never makes it through. Their motto is "Hike A Tree", like the ones that are fallen over.

4. Milehifireguy

Milehifireguy New Member

Thanks for the info! Looked at both online and they look great. Will will show them both to my wife... Any info on the redwoods farther north near Eureka? I've heard that the weather is a bit wet up there that time of year though.

5. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I am partial to jedediah smith state park, & the avenue of the giants. These are two of my favorite spot's in the world and I can't think of any where that I would rather spend time. Where ever you go have a great time!

6. EK41

EK41 Member

Burlington campground in Humbolt Redwoods state park is nice I posted a picture in that thread. I was there in September 2010.

7. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

8. gottria

gottria Member

Eric, all's I see is lodging. Is there a cam ground there?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

9. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

10. gottria

gottria Member

Thanks, wife took one look at the site and said no bears. [A]

11. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

We are camping at Cape Blanco State park in Oregon and doing day trips to the redwood's because my wife also said no bears.

12. Sussya

Sussya Member

We just got back from Prairie Creek (Elk Prairie), and it is SOOO gorgeous there. Close to the beach (we hiked there) and the redwoods. They do have bear boxes, but we didn't see any bears. We were at Sequoia for 3 days a few weeks earlier and saw 5 bears--and one hanging around in camp. Prairie Creek wasn't like that. Not nearly as strict with bear regulations as Sequoia NP, and we could keep food in our car. It really is gorgeous.

13. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

Butano State Park is one of our favorite campgrounds.
    It is thick with redwoods, has great hiking & is 10 minutes from beaches!
    No bears.

14. emmy

emmy New Member

I love Richardson's Grove state park for Redwoods camping.

15. Purplepachyderm

Purplepachyderm New Member

In the 15 years I've lived in the humboldt county redwoods, I've never seen a bear while camping here. We are taking our PUP on her maiden voyage at Burlington campground this weekend. Our favorite "old faithful" campground is Grizzly Creek just south of Eureka. Prarie Creek is pretty darn amazing. There are lots of Elk, some of the largest redwoods and fern canyon (a must see). Any of the redwood state parks aren't going to disapoint you. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. sallyannie75

sallyannie75 New Member

I lived in Eureka for 26 years. Years ago we had bears walk down the river bar mid day at Swimmer's Delight (Not too far from Grizzly Creek). We also had them in our backyard in the Cutten area. My point being that you should always be prepared for the possibility of bear activity, but not let it stop your fun.

17. Purplepachyderm

Purplepachyderm New Member

Bears in my back yard is a different story. Haha. Just haven't seen any while camping. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

18. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Last year we camped at Patrick's Point State Park for two nights, we have a very good time there. This August we are going camping in the Redwood again. We reserved four nights in the Prairie Creek State Park. Hopefully the weather is going good as last year.

19. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Just back from 8 days in the PUP up at Hume Lake - I had to chase off 3 black bears from our campsite the last 2 nights there....

Exciting stuff! [:O]

20. 94JaycoCraig

94JaycoCraig New Member

The best campground I've ever been to is the Mill Creek Campground in Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park. I've been going there for 10 years.

Many of the folks we met there from all around the country said it was the best campground they had ever been to anywhere in the country. It's that nice!

Great for kids, with giant old growth redwood stumps and logs from the logging days to climb all over, and the private campsites are tucked away between the stumps and logs of giant redwoods and the lush ferns and huge growing redwood trees. Mill Creek flows through the campground and is full of brook trout and other species, and there is lots to do and see in and out of the campground.

We just returned from a 4 day trip there this past weekend.