Refilling small propane bottles

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by grantar2, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

5 LB will get you through the weekend and if you need more and don't have room for a 20 LB bottle then 11 LB is available.
    You can pick up a 5# or 11# at Home Depot/Lowes for around 55 dollars each.
    If you go through more than 5# in a weekend then it must be really cold and you are using a propane fire pit plus the heater in the pup. [;)] Just my [2C].

2. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

No, I'm not using more than 5#'s in a weekend. My statement was what do you do when you go through 3#'s in a weekend. That leaves you with 2#'s left in the tank which means you won't get through a 2nd weekend. That means you have to refill that 5# bottle with only 3 #'s. Hopefully they charge you by how much you take and not by the bottle size like a traditional 20# tank.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

4. bearman512

Sorry for that Matt O.
    I have all three, and the 20# bottle is on the pup. I carry the 5# for backup on the pup or I use my 11# in my Expedition rig.
    And yes my local propane shop will fill as required and only charge me for the #'s filled, I get the hairy eyeball everytime I need the 5#er refilled. [LOL]

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

The big thing with a 5lb tank is you pay a lot more per lb to refill. You pay the service fee to hook up the tank to refill + the propane. I figure a 20 lb tank holds about 3 gallons, which propane delivered around here is about $2 per gallion. So the service fee to fill a tank if the price for 20 lbs is $17, is $11.

I would be interested in what a 5lb tank cost to re-fill?

6. esgordon123

esgordon123 New Member

You can give feedback without referring to some ones common sense. All you had to say was it's not safe and/or illegal. Why stick the rude part in? Pretty sure the op was not looking for that. Sorry to the op for high jacking the thread. Also to all a Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bearman512

$9.00

8. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Okay, I wasn't referring to anyone's common sense in particular, and definitely not the OP; they asked if it was safe, they were not claiming that it was.

It was factual feedback. Sorry if that offended you.

9. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Someone pays $28 to refill a 20# tank [?:~{] j$17 for the propane and $11 for a service fee? Is that to have the truck come to your house and fill it? I'm confused....I've never paid a service fee to refill a 20# tank. It is like $18 to refill and $24 (I think, I don't do this) to exchange a tank in PA.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Doesn't apply to me as I am not transporting for commerce.

I was amazed Mr Heater actually endorses running a container pressure hose from an cylinder outside to one of their heaters inside. To me, this is no different than bringing the cylinder inside [?:~{] This is not something I'm willing to do. YMMV

11. skiball

skiball New Member

Will someone please tell me how they are going to know that I am transporting a refilled bottle as apposed to a brand new bottle. I don't believe it is possible. But then again, I'm just a simple camper trying to save a buck.

12. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

13. ChocoChock01

I usually bring 2-3 in to a local station and that will ensure their min. fill, then just get charged for amount of gas.

14. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

There are a few propane places near me, none charge more than $20 (all inclusive) for a 20lb tank fill. My local RV place ranges from 14-17, and will charge less if it is only a partial fill.

I haven't heard of any service charges before, but perhaps that varies by area?

15. ChocoChock01

Usually only going to be an issue AFTER an accident happens and usually not before.

Being that I was unaware of the valve problem, I think I m going to a small rechargeable tank, especially since I haven't had an accident yet!!!

16. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

where is the link to the propane tiki torches? [LOL]

17. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

18. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Refilling small propane tanks....just because you can, doesn't mean you should

19. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

They won't. As mentioned above, the CFR generally regulates commerce, not family camping. Driving 61 MPH in a 60 MPH zone is also illegal, and we all know about the relative enforceability of +1 MPH over speed limit. So, technical legalities can be argued at length, but most people, in at least some areas, recognize a continuum of legality rather than black/white. So, argue all you want that tossing 5 refilled cylinders is a federal crime, but it's not particularly convincing to me (though it may be to others). Ultimately, I'll rely on someone with formal legal training to interpret the law, not arm-chair lawyers on a camping forum (of which I am one).

I also read through the first page of so-called testimonials in the link above. Saw one guy with a leaky valve on a refilled cylinder. Saw another guy with an issue with a brand new cylinder. Read one or two 4th-hand accounts (I knew a guy, who's brother's roommate's friend went camping with a guy whose neighbor had an issue). So, I'm not seeing the smoking gun. Others may; I don't.

A million refilling nozzles are sold a year. I read lots of theoretical arguments about the risk, but see very few issues that aren't accompanied by gross negligence.

Nobody's arguing that it's risk-free, but there's a difference between possible risk and probable risk. It's possible that a meteor could hit me on my way to work. It's not probable. It's up to each of us to determine where the refilling falls in this spectrum.

Good luck.

20. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I don't think anyone would ever know unless someone ratted you out. Or if you were transporting them in your TV and one let loose making you pull over and all jump out, when a State Trooper is coming by to see what the commotion is. And then you would have to admit to it. [;)] [:D]

Just for safety sake, since they are refills, I would transport them outside the TV.