Refilling small propane bottles

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by grantar2, Dec 19, 2013.

1. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

Not worth the trouble. In order to get any real amount of liquid into the smaller cylinder, you're going to need to cool that receiving cylinder with ice and salt or dry ice in order to condense enough to make it worthwhile. Given the cost of ice/salt, or dry ice, you're economically much better for looking around for the occasional sale on the OEM variety. Now, if you want to carry around that adapter, and refill the little cylinders every time you use them that's a different story. You can probably cook one meal with the amount of gas you'll be able to transfer.

2. grantar2

grantar2 Member

If anyone cares, I decided not to bother refilling the small bottles.

3. skiball

skiball New Member

I'm not exactly ready to use my refil fitting yet, as I need to use up my 6 new 1# bottles first. After reading your post, I'm wondering just how much the small bottle might be filled. I plan on putting the small bottles in the deep freezer over night before filling, How full would you think the bottle will be? If I can get it filled between 12 oz. and 1# or at least 3/4 full, I think it is worth my time. Anything less than that, I will still refil, it's just a bit disappointing. Except for sitting by the water catfishing for 5 or 6 hours at a time, I rarely have to change bottles during usage.So 3/4 full would be ok. What is your experience? Thanks...

4. Anak

Anak New Member

FWIW, I grew up living with lighting from refilled propane bottles.

We didn't have electricity for many years, living in a remote area. We had a permanent mount for an upside down bulk tank and used that to refill our 1 lb tanks. We never had an issue.

Perhaps we didn't manage to fill the 1 lb tanks to the level they would have been if purchased full, but we did manage to run our lanterns off them.

5. skiball

skiball New Member

My mother's house is very old. It still has fixtures from the gas lighting on the walls. Not propane but still pretty neat to think that was what they used back then. When I was a kid there was a gas powered yard lamp that ran for years in our back yard.

6. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I'm not sure if E3 Junkie was speaking from experience or theoretical expectations. Dry ice? Cooking one meal on a refilled bottle?

Those statements certainly are not consistent with my experiences. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to refill bottles all the time when I tent camped. Depending on the bottle, I would usually get between 75% and 90% full on a refill. Thus, I'd get many meals out of a refilled bottle, and no need to call in the roadies for dry ice.

7. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I'd guess i can fill mine around 75 % , i put mine in the freezer beforehand too .

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We just use a Y splinter with a 1lb adapter on our 20 lb tank and a long 1lb to 1lb hose. No need to refill 1lb bottles, just take the 20lb tank to the refilling station.

9. skiball

skiball New Member

Do you need some kind of regulator for that. My camper stove is High Pressure. Even with the Y, the same pressure that goes to the regulater into my camper stove, etc. will be going to the items that are to run off of a 1# bottle and there would be no way to regulate the raw pressure right out of the tank. What I am saying is that if it needs to go through a regulater to opperate HP items then the raw pressure coming off an un regulated line must be pretty high right out of a 20# tank. Maybe too high. Am I wrong???
    I think I'll stick with the right tank for the device I want to use but that's just my opinion...

10. tenttrailer

It depends on if the appliance has a regulator? If the appliance is made to run off a 1lb tank no issue.

The y connector is before the regulator at the 20 LB tank connection. So it's at the bulk LP pressure, which a 20lb and a 1lb tank both have the same pressure based on the outside temperature. I used the Camco 59133 Brass 90 Tee with 3 ports

[​IMG]

11. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Yep, the pressure of the propane is a thermodynamic property and has nothing to do with vessel volume. So, if you feel comfortable hooking a 1-lb bottle to your appliance, you should feel comfortable hooking a 20-lb, 10-lb, 100-lb tank to it.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

gets chilly inside my small cylinders!

[​IMG]

13. tenttrailer

That is one of the downfall of the small bottles. There is not much volume to absorb the temperature change from the evaporation.

14. tenttrailer

Be careful. You should never fill any propane tank to more then 80% of it's volume capability.

15. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I'm pretty sure that he means 75% of original fill, not 75% of internal volume. So, if the original is 1 lb of propane, bols is putting 0.75 lbs into the bottle on refill.

16. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

si si

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Turn it into an advantage, cool the little bottle by using it and refill before it cools off!!