Refined manners from older Boy Scout - would love to know more...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by hrhchuck235, May 7, 2014.

1. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Being a former Scout it is the best training for any youngster growing up. The Scout handbook is a valuable tool on everything Scout and camping related. Father in law is a 20 year Scoutmaster and he is the cook de jour for us when we go camping. There is not anything he can't cook on the campfire or grill that isn't wonderful. Great organization which instills morals and pride into each individual.

2. keithfran1

keithfran1 Member

awesome to hear all the Scout stories..I am too an Eagle Scout. Great organization to teach..how to be a good citizen..not everyone becomes an Eagle but those involved in Scouts even for a few years usually turn out to be good citizens.

I remember sending the younger recruits to neighboring campsites for bacon strechers, smoke shifter and the like..usually the neighbors would sent them back with some homemade "tool" lol ..lots of fun.

I could go on and on about the stories camping with Scouts..rain..fun..rain..god food..but best of all some friendships that have lasted a lifetime.

3. pej

pej Member

I was a scout and am currently a Venturer Advisor. I was camping last weekend and it is getting cold here: 14degF over night and now a foot of snow. Seeing the positive results in the youth is what keeps me involved. We simply call it Scouts in Canada since girls may join. Maybe we need a Scouting Avatar that those of us involved can choose.

2001 Palomino Pony21, '11 Ford Escape. www.headpond.ca/Palomino.html

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I did not go very far in the scouts. I did love every minute of it and 30 years later I still use lots of the skills that I learned there.

I am a mover and every summer we get a new group of kids as helpers. I will tell ya that I wish more of these kids were scouts.

5. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We always tell our Scout that getting your Eagle will not get you a job but it will help get your resume to the top of the stack. I believe that those that have been involved with Scouting understand the difference the program makes in young mens lives and how it makes them better employees and leaders. Your comments reinforce what we are trying to accomplish in our own small way.

6. PoppedPaul

PoppedPaul What's this button do?

I earned my Eagle Scout back in 1977 and was a member of the Order of the Arrow.

We always police our boondock sites picking up the litter of others. We've camped in the same site for 20 years now and it's the cleanest part of the desert I'd swear! We've gotten lazy and now leave a small amount of firewood hidden discretely behind some rocks to season. But other than that they only thing we leave are our footprints and the only thing we take are pictures and memories.

[​IMG]

7. The Hillbilly Hilton

The Hillbilly Hilton New Member

I am an Eagle Scout and I believe it got me my first job. It was even brought up in my first interview. I am now a NY attorney with my own practice and among my many legal achievements, I have my Eagle Plaque right next to my Law School diploma in my office.

I love when people come up to me when we are about to leave to inquire how I get my kids to have fun policing the area. We always take out more then we bring in. Some campgrounds are left a mess.

8. LevyFamily

LevyFamily New Member

It makes a world of a difference camping next to someone who knows their camping manners..... [:D]

9. russjbeck

russjbeck New Member

I must have missed the upstanding citizen type Scouting you guys got. We were bad kids in Cubs and Webelos, and didn't get much better in Boy Scouts. The majority of boys dropped quickly after Webelos. The thought was that Scouting was for <insert non-PC term here>, but deep down it was still fun. It was just not cool though.

I remember as Bear Cubs one of our campouts left us with black-eyes and fat lips. Late at night we terrorized the Webelos camp by runnng through and collapsing tents and peeing on stuff. We fled quickly and were caught in an ambush by some of the other Webelos who had been tipped off to our raiding party. They proceeded to kick our <mules> until the leaders and parents broke it up.

I am a different man than I was as a boy, but after talking to old time Scouts and new Scouts I could safely say that Boy Scouts today are different. I find that the American Heritage Girls and Trail Life USA are better organizations and probably closer to the old Scouting. My daughters are in AHG and we have friends with boys in Trail Life. Some of the leaders and parents are old time Scouters.

10. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

In regards to Scouts being different now than before, that varies widely from Troop to Troop. Our Troop has a bunch of stubborn leaders (including me) that refuse to be politically correct and believe that it is ok for a young man to experience a little pain as a result of his decisions. We refuse to "bubble wrap" them and prefer to allow them to enjoy the outdoors. There are some things BSA has done that I don't fully agree with but we work around that and still provide a great program for young men. Some of the other programs have a good start but unfortunately lack the facilities and depth of leadership that Scouts have. If the BSA continues to make some goofy decisions (IMHO), that could change. Regardless of which program the young men get involved with, it is good to see adults willing to spend their time helping to shape the future.