Reflectix window inserts

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by cssweeney, Sep 23, 2012.

1. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

So my DH and I made the bunkend window inserts this afternoon. 3 per bunkend. He is not real sure that this is going to make a difference. I on the other hand, do believe that it is going to make a huge difference. Along with my PUGS that I use. Question to all you smart ones. How many of you make the inserts for the doorside and roadside windows?

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I did but that's atypical. Most don't based on the posts I've read.

For one thing, putting them in all the windows turns the PUP into a cave. Personally, that's a good thing if I want to sleep in. But it does make you feel confined and isolated since you can't see anything outside the PUP.

Many also believe that there's little to gain. FWIW, I think it does improve the heat/cooling effect but not as much improvement as you get from putting them into the bunkends. For one thing, on my Bayside at least, some of those windows do have clear plastic windows that create a dead air space between the tenting and the windows-a good insulator. For another, the bunkend windows have more sq. ft. than the others except for maybe the slideout.

3. candleems

candleems Member

It makes a huge difference for us. Have him wear a down coat and roll it up so 4" of his belly sticks out (no shirt or anything). Snow pants on the bottom. Now blast him with a fan. Then a hair dryer. That's the difference, or so it seems to me. In the summer, be sure to park in the shade as well as use the inserts when using the AC.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Just to be clear, the bunkend inserts do make a significant difference. It's at least 8-10 degrees. Don't think anyone disputes that. It's the other windows that generate some difference of opinion.

5. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

I have inserts for all windows, and am working on one for door too. During reasonable temps I only use bunk ends, but very hot and very cold, they all get used. I think it makes a big difference, so much so that the AC or Heater does not run all the time. I am also diggin in closet tonight for yoga mats to go under bunkend matresses for added R value this fall.

6. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Yoga mats? what a great idea!

7. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

So how many of you that do use the inserts, use the foil tape around the edges of the inserts? Once again the DH does not think it is necessary no [:O] there. LOL

8. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

I did not tape them. They have little to no movement only to install and uninstall. I place them under the mattress when not in use. I do not see the need.

9. rangerman

rangerman New Member

Getting ready to cut out some inserts this weekened. Question: Do folks keep them in the windows all the time or is it better to put them in and remove during each setup? Thanks.

10. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

They seem to add a bit of bulk. So I would think to remove them and reinstall them after setup.

11. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

You do want to remove them. Over time, the Reflectix silver coating will abrade or oxidize, leaving a silver residue on the interior zip up tenting. They're also not as flexible as the tenting and limits your ability to fold the tenting so you have a more difficult time getting the roof to close.

12. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Definitely remove them. They can be rolled and stored, or laid flat and stored, what ever you have room for. I lay mine flat on the dinette, on top of the memory foam before sliding in the bunk ends.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I had them for ALL windows and even made a panel to put in front of the door when I had my Yuma. There was a big difference in interior warmth and comfort between times I had all windows covered and just the bunk end windows covered. It's true that you can't see outside but who cares at night? I took the two inserts out of the camper body windows during the day.

I never bothered to tape the edges because it offers no advantage and foil tape is costly. As for leaving the inserts in the windows, I did with the large ones across the front and rear bunk ends because they could just flop down flat on the mattresses. I removed all others because they would get bent up when the tenting was folded into the PUP. I left the PUGs on the roof all of the time, too.

If you want to go the rest of the way with insulation, put Styrofoam panels under the mattresses and put carpeting or throw rugs all over the floor.

14. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

So if I was to make one for my door, how do you attach it, with Velcro?

15. candleems

candleems Member

Velcro sounds good.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I just used a bit of duct tape in the four corners.

17. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Anyone just use bubble wrap for a window insulator? (It would still let in light for the main body windows) They also have an aluminized bubble wrap. [;)]

18. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

This is the next thing i am going to do just added it to my list. 8-10 degress is a huge difference. The yoga mats would a more cushion to. Thanks for posting.

19. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I put reflectix in all of my windows. In this video it was I think 16 degrees out and I stayed warm. I have also used it in the summer time when it is supper hot out. You can see how dark it is with it in the windows. I cut "view ports" in my big windows so I can see out. Since then I have put 1 inch foam insulation under the bunk ends. I was going to use some left over foam board on the door, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Keeping warm in a PopUp

20. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Is reflectix the same as r-foil?