Reflectix window inserts

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by cssweeney, Sep 23, 2012.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

And do you guys notice a significant difference by just doing the bunk end windows without also using pugs, or do you need pugs as well to notice much of a difference?

2. RockyRoo

Anybody?

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I am sorry that I don't have direct experience with your particular question but I will share my opinion, if you don't mind.

I don't have reflectix in the windows but use something similar (car shades). I get the absolute most benefit from the PUGs. They are more often than not, in direct sunlight and are reflecting that solar heat away, especially during the hottest parts of the day. The windows are at an angle for all but early mornings and late afternoons and evening. So, if you're only going to do one or the other, it should be the PUGs.

If you can only do Reflectix in the windows, it's better than not, but it won't give you the best relief. It's like patching a hole in the side of a ship when there's water pouring in from the top.

4. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Rocky,
    I'm heading out in a few hours to the Indiana rally. I have Reflectix inserts for my bunk. Choosing not to use the PUGs this time. I'm bringing an electric heater along. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Matt---Love the video!

5. RockyRoo

Where is the iniana rally? I am at Harrison Lake SP not far from the indiana line, maybe i should have gone there instead. Am thinking about finding a Lowes or HD somewhere and making myself some this weekend and trying them out. Roo stays warm but any little help would be good.

6. mamabean5

7. mamabean5

Just a note, I found the Reflectix at Lowe's. When I called to see if they had it, they told me no. Since I was close by, I just stopped in anyways 5 minutes later. Yes, they had it. $15 a roll. I made 2 side windows and the back bunk insert from 1 roll, with a decent sized scrap left over.

Sorry CampinMomma, didn't mean to hijack your thread. :)

8. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I don't have pugs in my video and just the reflectix made a huge difference.

9. mamabean5

Actually Matt, that's what made me decide not to bother with the PUGs this weekend! [:D]

10. RockyRoo

Thanks for the input guys, i definitely think i will be trying them in october. I would love to make it to indiana but am already committed here this weekend. I definitely want to make a rally or 2 next year though

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Camp-N-Nuts asked about using clear bubble wrap instead of Reflectix for window inserts. It would help a little bit but not as much as Reflectix. Reflectix does have bubble wrap in the middle and that's what gives it its R-value of 1.1. But the main effect of Reflectix (and PUGS) comes from the two thin layers of foil. They are thermal reflectors, which stop the long-wave radiation (i.e., heat) from passing through.

As for Reflectix window inserts without PUGS on the roof, sure, any insulation/thermal reflection is better than none and you'll feel a difference but adding PUGS on the roof will "double your fun", to take an phrase from an old chewing gum commercial. If it is cold out and you are trying to keep the inside of the PUP warm, remember that heat rises so having a thermal reflector on the roof is extremely valuable.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We had the PUGs long before we got the Gizmos bunk end liners, and use them in all weather. We did, however, notice a big difference adding the outside PUGs for cold weather. While covering the bunk end windows will help, my opinion is that you will get a much larger effect if the roof is taken care of too.
    We chose the Gizmo bunk end liners instead of reflectix, since they cover all three sides of the bunk end, not just the windows. (Plus, they fold compactly to store when traveling or not in use.) We camped in the mid-teens to twenties last year, and it seemed to work very well without adding reflectix to the mid section of the pup. However, our curtains are pretty heavy and there is little left uncovered when they are closed. At some point, I may try to make a curtain for the door, but need to figure out how to attach it.

13. hsr

hsr Member

mamabean5,

How did they work for you? I know it wasn't real warm this past weekend.

14. RockyRoo

mamabean, I am curious how they worked as well. I am thinking about trying it out myself this weekend.

15. mamabean5

I had inserts only in the windows of the bunk where I slept. I closed the curtains on the other bunk, since it was empty. It was nice and cozy! No drafts, nice and dark. Well worth the few minutes it took to make them--it was almost too easy. I know other people put the inserts in all their windows, but I don't think I could stand that much darkness. It would be too much trouble to remove them during the day to get some light in the trailer. Hope this help Rocky!

16. RockyRoo

Awesome, I see a trip to HD or Lowes in my near future! Will try that out this weekend while I do a short trip to test out some other issues I hope to resolve before winter storage arrives. Thanks for the info.

17. mamabean5

Just a note---I found out from others at the Indiana Rally that the Reflectix comes in 2 sizes. My Lowe's only carried the smaller size so I had to piece my inserts together. If you buy the wider roll, you will get a seamless insert.

18. RockyRoo

Thanks for that tip, I did notice that it comes in several sizes from the websites. I need to drop my bed and take some measurements before heading to the store.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Definitely get the 4' wide roll. Most places have it in 25' and 50' lengths. That way each insert can be a single piece. You'll almost certainly need the 50' length if you want to make inserts for all of the windows. If you have material left over consider making a cozy for your cooler and/or inserts for the front and back side windows on your TV. I found that my cooler cozy extended ice life by about 50%. When combined with a standard windshield sunscreen, the TV window inserts (you only need two because you can switch them from one side to the other depending on how the TV is parked) are a major help in keeping the interior cool in direct sunlight.

This is my old TV and PUP all decked out in Reflectix at Joshua Tree National Park in the desert of southern California a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

20. RockyRoo

Definitely suspect that is what i will end up with. My side windows are pretty tall and I have 3 beds worth, so it's going to take a lot.