Reflectix

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Todd Terry, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Todd Terry

Todd Terry New Member

And reflectix inserts to bunk windows. Didn't have them done for the first night which it got down to 31. Second night didn't get as cold but I do believe it helped with retaining heat. Was also worried it would look a little trashy but they look great!

Attached Files:

2. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

I had a set cut for all the windows except the door. It does make a difference.

3. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

It absolutely help with heat and cold as does gizmos. Use them under bunk mattresses too. I have car insulation under one and reflectix under the other and I can't really tell a difference.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I also started using Reflectix this year. The coldest we used ours was when in got down to 42* on a couple of nights. I also felt that it did OK retaining heat. I noticed the biggest difference when used to keep the heat OUT. When there was direct sunlight hitting the bunk ends, the Reflectix made a HUGE difference.

IMG_6286.JPG

At the suggestion of our fearless leader and Head Honcho PopUpSteve, I also used aluminum tape as edging on all of the Reflectix. It is time consuming to put them on all of the edges, but it seems to be very effective in protecting the screens from the edges of the Reflectix.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    PopUpSteve likes this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

One big advantage to using Reflectix is that it blocks the wind. The R value isn't that great but every little bit helps.

6. Todd Terry

Todd Terry New Member

Going to do the same with the edges, the local Wally World didn't have any!

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Lowe's has it here.

8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

As prep for camping in hunting season(s), made up Reflectix "curtains" for the windows in the Chalet Aframe. Simply cut the Reflectix to the size of the window frame, bound the edges with the Reflectix tape, and added Velcro(tm) sticky dots at the corners and every six to eight inches along the sides. Learned to be gentle when taking the curtains down, to avoid tearing at the dots. Really helped with keeping the heat in.

The Chalet, and I assume other Aframes, have a significant gap where the sidewalls meet the roof sections. A lot of warm air can be lost through this gap. There are factory seals, but they don't seal very well. Some where I heard the idea of pushing cheap plastic pool noodles into the gap. It works! On our Arrowhead model it takes three 97 cent each WallyMart noodles per side, two used whole and one cut in half. Only drawback is that sealing is now so good condensation became evident, so we just crack two side windows and a roof vent to allow convective circulation.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Todd Terry likes this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Haven't tried "Reflectix", but I bought a roll of padding that goes under fake hardwood flooring and put it in the bunk windows. It's white so you can barely see it from the outside. It's really flexible so I leave it in when I close the PUP. When camping in near 100 degree temps and the sun beaming on one side I could tell a huge difference in the bare canvas compared to the window canvas protected by the foam.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I used it in all the bunk windows. The heat retention was a little better, but the light blocking in the land of the midnight sun was the biggest benefit for me.

Todd Terry and BillyMc like this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I cut a set for both bunks, the main dinette window and the galley window. Since I mainly camp in the summer which means HOT in TX, the reflectix was a must. It has made a difference for me. I have camped in colder weather and it helped with heat retention a little then, but was really good at blocking wind.

12. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I have also noticed it all but eliminates condensation inside in cold weather. I only get a tiny bit in my corners when I use my pugs and reflectix combined.

13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Back when we owned our 2000 Santa Fe we traveled a lot during the hot summer months so I installed a Carrier AirV A/C and along with a set of Popup Gizmos bunk end solar covers & Reflectix bunk window inserts found I could easily keep the camper interior comfortable when outside temps exceeded 100F.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

However, without A/C Reflectix window inserts would only restrict air flow through the window screening so in this case I would rather invest the $$$ in a set of Popup Gizmos bunk end solar covers which help noticeably to retain heat inside the camper in cold weather and prevent excessive heat build up in hot weather without restricting the free flow of air through the window screening. Truth be told though, a set of Reflectix panels over each bunk end are much more effective for this purpose than PUGs, albeit more difficult to secure properly so they won't blow off in windy conditions.

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I thought about making a set out of reflectix myself. However I find the bigger issue was storage. The ones I made for the windows can't live under the mattress since my topper takes up the available space. They get folded a little bit still take up all the room under the dinette. If I had a set for the roof instead of the pugs they would have to ride in the car. I don't think I would have room to store then in the pup for travel.

15. davekro

davekro Member

Has anyone tried using 1" rigid insulation foam panels?
    https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2009/05/01/which-rigid-insulation-should-i-choose

Polyisocyanurate (ISO) has the highest R value at R-5.7 to R-6. I think Reflectix is R1 or 1.5.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermas...-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-Board-787264/100549260

our second bunk we leave the foam mattress home, so could store a bunch there. Wondering if two panels on each bunk end roof plus inserted into widows would have a much better heat retention factor than the low R value Reflectix? Anyone do any experimenting with this stuff? I'd guess it would keep the hot sun heat out noticeably better than Reflectix as well, but I have not tried and of this yet. I wanted to ask the experienced folk here before trying to reinvent that round thing.

Also, any estimate as to how much propane and battery it might take to run a heater for two nights with maybe 52 outside temp and the T'stat set at 62º overnight? Assuming no Reflectix or any other insulation.

16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

With good bedding or sleeping bags you shouldn't need heat at 52 deg.

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

There was a post of someone here that was a hunter and was going to use those rigid boards. I just don’t know what became of it.
    If you have a way to store it and bring it, I would think it will help much better than reflectix. In regards to your question about how much battery/propane...I camped in temps at 32 degrees at night, day temps was about 50. I turned the furnace on at night just before bed and kept it at 50 degrees. I camped for three nights. I was extremely conservative with my power hardly used it for anything else but furnace. I was just below half on my group 24 battery and used up one propane tank. That tank wasn’t full though as it was used for cooking on a few trips earlier. Not quite what your asking but does give you an idea what you expect.

davekro likes this.
  18. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

We installed a 1/2" version or something similar under the mattress and it does make a difference. Depending on where you camp and wind a good sleeping bag may not be enough. You could also use a tent camping pad with good R rating. The insulation sheets are under the mattress year round.

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The point in using Reflectix is for it's reflective properties not it's insulation factor and of course because it's flexible it's much easier to store than rigid foam panels. And yes, I've camped in below freezing temps with Reflectix window inserts and been warm as toast inside the camper. [A]

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Reflectix is as much or more about reflecting the sun than anything else. The little bit of R value is just a bonus. I had a roll of foam padding the goes under that fake hardwood so I cut inserts for my bunks. It made a very noticeable difference compared to the area next to the window panel that didn't have foam protection. It is zipped in and stays there.

If you aren't going to use the other bunk, block it off with a heavy quilt or blanket hung like a curtain during weather that you need heat. 1" rigid foam boards are going to take up room, add to setup and break down, and large pieces are going to be awkward to handle inside the camper.

At 52º I would leave the heat off and just turn it on in the morning to take the chill off. Our Group 31 battery will go three nights without breathing hard. That said, we have pretty low power demand. All LED lights, water pump only when being used, heat only in the morning or with temps dipping much below 50º, and fridge on gas.