Reflectix

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Todd Terry, Nov 11, 2018.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Yes, that gives me a sense of gas usage. What does “just below half on a battery mean? Down to ‘x’ voltage from topped of voltage of ‘y’, where ‘z’ is considered battery too low condition. I have a group 31 gel battery, several years old.

2. davekro

davekro Member

Thanks to all for your commments an experience.

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Our pop up has heated mattresses.
    After a couple nights in the low 40s, I don't think I'd want to be without one again.

JWeible likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sorry to clarify it was how many volts I had left on the battery. My group 24 battery was fully charged reading close to 13 volts at start and by the end of my trip the group 24 showed less than half charge of 12.4 volts. Ideally an RVr never wants a battery go much below half Charge as it could shorten the life of a battery. With a group 31 you should be more than fine if your battery is in good shape. Just bring your multimeter and check your battery voltage. With me only having a group 24 I checked the voltage first thing in the morning every day so I could adjust things if I found i was using too much.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

As nice as heated mattresses are, they really can’t help you when your on battery power unless you have a generator. It could kill your battery quick.

6. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

Same! We are camping the last weekend in October for the first time ever since our new camper has them. We have an electric site so the battery isn’t an issue. So excited to extend our camping season!

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We have used our heated mattresses quite a few times now. Although they are a wonderful addition for cold weather, remember that it heats only one side of you and an extra blanket on top is highly recommended.

We were on the Canadian border last month when it got down into the 40's. The mattress setting was set at 3 (out of 6) but I found myself up at 2:30 AM looking for the stashed extra sleeping bag to throw on top of us.

JWeible likes this.
  8. davekro

davekro Member

Curious what is the aprox. lowest voltage, the ‘Danger Will Robinson!’ Voltage level for a Pup? What would be the devices that would not operate at that ‘too low’ volt level? Heater igniter? Other?

I have a small 4”x4” panel to install near the converter with a cig. lighter plug, USB, voltage readout and on/off switch.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with the battery powering a popup, the same criteria applies to all. For a 12 volt battery you don't want to regularly draw it down any more than ~ 50% or ~ 12 volts unloaded which is way above the operating voltage for any devices you may be powering with it. Obviously if there's a load placed on a battery that reads ~ 12 volts unloaded the loaded voltage powering the device will be lower, dependent of course on how large that load is.

10. WVhillbilly

We usually camp somewhere with electric, only used the mattress a few times but so far I'm sold.
    Odd that I have not used my tent in a while.

Tom Jordan likes this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If your battery doesn't have enough power to run the furnace blower fast enough to activate the sail switch the burner will not light. If you get this low you should have stopped drawing on it much sooner.

12. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

Yep! Nice warm comforters ready to go.
    It actually got down to 30 when we camped Mother’s Day weekend, our first trip with this camper. Those heated pads saved our weekend!!

BikeNFish likes this.
  13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Reflectix also does an excellent job of blocking the wind. On mine the only actual canvas is the bunk end windows. All the other windows also have the vinyl window which blocks wind, and the rest of the canvas is vinyl coated so it does a decent job as well. With reflectix in the bunk windows I can block the majority of wind and that helps a lot with keeping the interior warmer. I also have interlocking foam pads underneath the mattress. When I have camped in cooler weather I was able to get by with just a small 1500W ceramic heater, and even then it got a little too warm inside for me.

14. WVhillbilly

I think those little ceramic heaters are better than the furnace.
    When I've tried to run the heat in mine the smoke detector goes off :sad:

15. davekro

davekro Member

Understood about the low voltage point not being unique to the pup, it's just that with most other 12v systems, they are constantly being recharged by an alternator, so it is rarely an issue. Although I do now recall that on my ski boat when the battery was getting past it's prime and it's capacity was lessened, my stereo was a meter of sorts as it would cut off at 11.5 V. ;o) The engine would still start, but I'd know to switch off the subwoofer and not run the stereo next time we stopped (engine shut off after each skier's run).

I have a several years old AGM battery. I read they are much more forgiving to lower discharging. But what I hear you saying is that it still shortens it's life, maybe just not as much so as a standard lead acid battery.