Reflector Oven

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by missybb, Feb 4, 2013.

1. missybb

missybb New Member

Serious foodies in our family. We love to cook and bake. I bought hubby a dutch oven for Christmas and can't wait to use it once the parks open!

Anyway, I want to use my cast iron bake ware to bake fresh breads, cakes, muffins etc ( a normal every day thing while we are at home) while camping. I am wondering about reflector ovens - you know, the sheet metal type things you set beside the fire with your baking in it.

Do they work well? Would you make one (and any ideas on how to do that???) or just buy one?

Any thoughts and advice are welcome.

2. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Will your bakeware fit in the dutch oven? Often, we use the DO as an oven. We heat up the DO as usual to the proper temp. The thing we want to cook is in a smaller oven safe dish. We put 3 old railroad spikes in the bottom of the DO and the oven safe dish on top of those. That gives some airflow below the oven safe dish.

Not sure it that works for your situation, just a suggestion.

3. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

I picked up a Lodge cast iron divot at Cabela's for around $14 to do the same function as the railroad spikes. Haven't tried it out yet camping, but should work well.

4. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Wow, I haven't used a reflector oven since I was a girl scout MANY years ago! I don't know where you'd get one anymore. There's nice little ovens that work over a coleman stove burner though. http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5010D700T-Camp-Oven/dp/B0009PURJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360043908&sr=8-1&keywords=reflector+oven

5. missybb

missybb New Member

6. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I bought one of the Coleman ovens. The only thing I tried in them was breakfast and dinner rolls but it did work. Wind could be a problem with this setup. It might make for some not so desirabable temperature swings.

Phoodieman

7. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

I love my Coleman over the burner oven. You just have to watch the temp. It is not like a home oven where you can set it and forget it. It takes 10-15 mins to make biscuits, you just have to watch the temp. Your camping enjoy another cup o coffee while your biscuits or baking... Well worth it.

8. missybb

missybb New Member

I'm wondering.......can I use this on my stove top inside my PU?

9. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

missybb
    The oven has a deflector plate (if that is a word) on the bottom that sits on any burner so technically it would/should work fine. I would be cautious as ever with carbon monoxide in the camper and make sure it is well vented.

10. Blackpot

Blackpot Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?

I believe that the reflector oven that vjlarson was initially referring to was was a sheet metal apparatus that was placed in front of a wood fire and concentrated the heat onto a grate located in the center of the metal encloser. (Google "image reflector oven") Early American versions were shaped like a large can split vertically and had a spit to roast meat in the center of it. Other versions had trapezoidal ends with a grate in the middle (and the one most people think of). The heat was controlled by the proximity to the fire, the brightness of the fire and the angle of the oven relative to the heat source. I suppose that you could accomplish the same results by turning a solar oven on its side and rigging a horizontal grate inside of it.

These ovens are subject to the same variables as all outdoor cooking and required constant scrutiny around a campfire in order to determine that fine point between done and burned. If you already have a camp Dutch oven, I think that you will find that the temperature in it will be easier to control and that your pot will be much more forgiving. :)

11. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Yes, it was something like that but not nearly as "fancy" as the one shown in the link you provided.