refried beans.

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by beemerboy, Sep 2, 2011.

1. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I had a can of refried beans given to me - I guess that they bought some cans on sale and didn't like it.

Now, I've heard of refried beans but never had them (it?). What do you do with it?

And, How would you make homemade refried beans as I find most canned food a little too salty for my taste?

2. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I use the refried beans as a filler in tacos. If you ever had a Taco Bell taco salad, you'd find refried beans in one of these.

3. studio960

studio960 New Member

It's usually a side dish with many mexi-dishes, eaten warmed up and sometimes topped with melted cheese. Also used to add on a tostada as a "base" like for pizza.

Suggest you try some before you make some. . .

Then maybe try making some or just "give it away!" [LOL]

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Frijoles refritos, a staple of Mexican cooking. Check the label on the can, though. Some are laden with lard. We always buy the vegetarian ones which taste just as good. Though in fact, we usually just boil dried pintos and mash them ourselves. Costs only pennies a serving. They're great by themselves and don't need a topping. And as someone noted, they are great for making meatless tacos, etc. Just as good as meat one.

Heat them slowly and stir them, or they will scorch and stick to the pan.

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

As raymonk already stated, we use refried beans often as a filler for tacos or burritos. Helps to stretch the meat if you trying to feed a lot for less. Also, as Travvelhoveler suggest, we have have also boiled the dry pinto beans and mashed them ourselves, or you can buy canned pintos and do the same. They are also good as a side dish and often serve as a dish in a Taco Bar.

6. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I will wait to try the can that I have first before I make my own!

Maybe tonight I'll put some in a flour tortilla. roll it up and toss some sour cream on top.

7. AZbubs

AZbubs Member

Be sure to add some cheese and you have yourself a bean burrito. A real staple for my brother and me in college! (Back in the dark ages)

8. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

you can add cheesse, sour cream, chopped green onions, tomatoes, lettuce. basically what you would have on a taco, roll it up and dip in picante sauce! Yummy... I also have mixed it with taco meat to make it go further or for taco salads.. [:)O]

9. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I have been eating bean and cheese burritos for longer that I can remember [?:~{].
    Actually, bean tostadas are my favorite. I'm almost 70 years old [LOL] and I have one or the other at least 2 times a week, and I'm and old German Boy.. Born and raised in East Los Angles, Kalifornia and raised on Mexican food. But remember, you can't cook beans on a [BBQ], they fall through the grill. [LOL] [LOL]

10. tamranthor

tamranthor New Member

We generally institute a no-beans rule about three days before going out in the PUP. I'm just sayin'. [:D]

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I noticed that the Old El Paso ones have lard but only .5 grams of fat per serving. Must not be much of it, but still disgusting. I buy the Taco Bell brand ones that do not contain lard and zero fat.

I love refried beans and would like to find some low sodium ones. Other than the high sodium, they are very close to a protein shake only much better tasting!

12. dclm

dclm Member

Bean, green chili, cheese burrito. Smothered burritos, tostadas. Never tried then as taco fillers??! What usually happens is we make beans in the crock pot and eat them fresh that day straight from the crock pot to a bowl with butter as a side dish. Then usually make the burritos and other food with the leftovers.

13. chippers

chippers New Member

You can make some awesome dips with those beans. One I like:

Cook off 4 slices of bacon. Chop it. Saute a little diced onion. Stir that all plus some taco seasoning or chili powder into 1 can of beans. Spread it in a baking dish and top with shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese, and bake it until hot and bubbly. Add jalapenos or other taco toppings if you like.

14. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I also like to make nachos with them. Place some tortilla chips on a cookie sheet, with some leftover steak, cutup in small chunks of course, tablespoon size dollops of refried beans all around and shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, green onions and sliced jalapenos. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Get some beer and go to munching! Yum! [:)O]

Campit

Hubby & Me
    2006 Rockwood Freedom 2280
    2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax

15. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I finally got around to trying the re-fried beans and they were not like I thought they would be. I don't know what I was expecting.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, its just not my "cup of tea". I would eat it if they were put in front of me but, I would not go out of my way to buy it. They had a good beeny taste, just bland and the texture kind of put me off.

My first taste I warmed it up and wrapped it in a tortilla shell and tossed on some sour cream and salsa. Not too bad.

I cut a baked potato in half, scooped about a third of the potato out of it, put a large glob of beans in them, a handful of shredded cheddar and some chopped and fried bacon, a few jalapeno pepper rings and scallions on them. I stuck the potatoes under the broiler until cheese was melted and golden brown and then stuck them into the microwave until they were HOT. I then ate it with salsa and sour cream.

Not bad, I would possibly do it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

Maybe not having them when growing up and eating "good old New England uninspired food" formed my opinion.

16. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I grew up in the country, and certainly they never appeared on our dinner plate back then.

But I do buy them now. If we are making tacos or something similar, they add a depth of flavour. They don't stand alone, but just a little salsa, or cheese and they taste great to me.

17. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Do they still have El Pollo Loco in California??? I can remember getting their BRC(Beans, Rice, Cheese) burrito back in my 'salad days'...

I would make a tostada salad with those beans, lots of lettuce, tomato, salsa and a little guacomole and a dollop of sour cream, yummeeeeee!

18. Fished

Fished New Member

Why do they call them "refried"?

19. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I make a pot of brown beans (pinto beans) at least once a month we add ham hock and onion and simmer all day . We eat the beans as is or I will make re fried beans for tacos etc . You add the cooked pinto beans to a pan and" re fry" them and mash them up I add a pat of butter as well this really ramps up the flavor. You can keep the extra re fried beans in the freezer or I make a " Frito" Style bean dip for football weekends.

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!

poorly translated well fried to refried.