Refrigerator Hack

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Beech350guy, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Beech350guy

Beech350guy New Member

Hi everyone! We just wanted to share a little hack that might help some in hotter climates. We used to own “Smart RV Products”, and used to manufacture the “Fridge-Fix” line of products for RV refrigerators. Trailer Life and Motorhome magazines featured the Fridge-Fix a couple times, and we are so thankful for their articles!. For roughly 8 years we helped RV’ers solve problems with their refrigerators. We have since moved on, as our family requires more time now, but we thought we would share a little hack.

If you look at how RV refrigerators are installed, the access panels are part of the problem in hot climates. There is a stupid amount of bad information online, some of it is even dangerous. Half of the battle in hot weather is getting the heated air out of the cooling unit area. If you look at the design of the access panel, heated air actually has to defy the laws of physics to leave the rear of the fridge. Meaning, heated air has to descend to leave the panel grates. When poor performance is experienced, the easiest thing to eliminate is the overheated rear compartment. Obviously, we have a high-wall product, but this technique can be used on any of the fridge installations.

I made these brackets out of old hangers, and needle nose pliers. Pay no attention to the water stained plywood in the pic, that was done by an enthusiastic 9 year old with a hose during a wash :). In a light rain, even with this little hack installed, the rain does not run into the compartment. That being said, if its going to storm hard, I usually reinstall the panels as normal, then put the brackets back in when the hot weather comers back.

It’s really simple: If the cooling unit fins are exposed to ambient air, the fridge will stay much cooler. Even if its 120 degrees outside, if there is ambient air at the cooling unit fins, your fridge will function much better. In our experience, even if the RV is in direct sunlight, it doesn’t matter. If the cooling unit has ambient air running through the cooling fins, your battle will be much easier.

Hope this helps!

Finished Product:
    3B4E12F1-DA9C-466E-83B3-8F5D07C76AE6.jpeg
    8E202269-5BED-4B5E-92F2-070CCF9FBE52.jpeg 9FC0D9A1-E0EF-4551-9B89-DD820E866B34.jpeg 802DC6BF-9587-4ED0-B830-2AC1B2128488.jpeg DC5D09DF-DB76-42DF-A736-45CF0AC72330.jpeg

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Great idea, a lot here install computer fans in the back of the fridge to achive the circulation. But if you combine the two ideas, it may work even better.

3. Sjm9911

Ok looking it up your fridge fix was a fan, lol. I belive i saw it here on the portal also. Have fun with the familly, and stick around on here a bit!

4. Beech350guy

Beech350guy New Member

Hi again, you are right, computer fans on the upper access panel do indeed help. As long as the fans are extracting the air from the upper panel, and not forcing the air into the lower panel.

If the fans are forcing air into the lower access panel, it makes a positive pressure, and could force carbon monoxide into the trailer.

As for the Fridge-Fix, we produced close to 100K units. We feel very thankful for the wonderful customers that we had over the years, but life took us in a different direction. We love our new pup, and this forum is a lot of fun!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Intresting read on the positive pressure venting. Good to know. So negative venting is needed, i dont have my pup anymore but that will be helpful to a lot of people. ( i will probably steel your clip idea for the TT).

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When I still had the pup, I installed a single computer fan in the lower vent sucking air in, and two in the upper pushing air out, this along with a properly made baffle made all the difference in the world.. I could have the fridge cooled down in just a few hours, usually 2, sometimes 3..

Sjm9911 likes this.