Refrigerator, hot inside

00 Quad Cab

Mar 5, 2016
While cleaning our N2U pup I decided to start testing appliances.

We are on Shore Power so that's what I was testing. After several hours the fridge got hot inside not cold.

I had the switch set to AC and everything else off.

Any ideas? Fridge is a Norcold in. 99 Niagara.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
How long was the fridge on for? it can take several hours (close to 24) for these fridges to cool down.. Also in at the fridge controls, look for a knob to control the temp. of the fridge and set it to med. or high.

If the fridge still fails to cool on Shore Power after a day or so, switch it over to propane and try it on that ..

adrianpglover

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2014
Texas
You should also notice that the coils on the outside should be getting warm. What was the temperature outside? If it's a bit warm then you may want to try and put some fans on the coils. A lot of people end up modding these refrigerators by adding either baffling or fans to try and cool the coils and get it to work better in warmer environments.

HappyFamily

May 20, 2014
The fridge was the biggest stumper to me to when we first got our PUP. I thought if I just plugged the camper in, the fridge would kick on. I was wrong. You have to remove the top outside vent and actually start it.This video really helped me:

https://youtu.be/2-rGTDbj8dM

Also, our fridge would get cool, but according to my fridge thermometer (which I highly recommend you get) it was still not in the "safe zone". So, we took it to the mechanic. He said a spider had made a little nest in the chimney. They cleaned it out and showed us how they did it. Now we clean it out every spring. I even added a fine screen to the outside vent.

This viideo also explains some of the maintenance that can be done by yourself:

https://youtu.be/sIdwrwFFVb4

I hope this helps! [:D] [PU]

00 Quad Cab

Mar 5, 2016
The Fridge was plugged in roughly 14 hours and was hot as if heating an oven.

I am just testing one source at a time, AC first on all the appliances.

I will check the venting really well and try again.

Thank you for all your help.

ericgregoire

Jul 10, 2012
Ottawa - Canada
Snow said:
How long was the fridge on for? it can take several hours (close to 24) for these fridges to cool down.. Also in at the fridge controls, look for a knob to control the temp. of the fridge and set it to med. or high.

If the fridge still fails to cool on Shore Power after a day or so, switch it over to propane and try it on that ..

The knob is only used on gas mode to control the flame, in AC and DC the knob should be turn to the OFF position. As per instruction manual for Norcold 323:

Start-Up Instructions - AC Electric Operation
1. Verify that 120 volts AC is available to the refrigerator and that the AC fuse (C) in the control bracket is operational.
2. Set the Energy Selector Switch (A) to the AC position and verify that the Gas Control Selector (D) is in the OFF position.
3. No other action is required since a non-adjustable thermostat is provided to prevent food from freezing in the electric modes.

Start-Up Instructions - DC Electric Operation (3-Way)
1. Verify that 12 volts DC is available to the refrigerator and that the in-line DC fuse in the DC heater wire assembly is operational.
2. Set the Energy Selector Switch (A) to the DC position and verify that the Gas Control Selector (D) is in the OFF position.
3. No other action is required since a non-adjustable thermostat is provided to prevent food freezing in the electric modes.

The source of the problem could be the thermostat or the selection switch.

00 Quad Cab

Mar 5, 2016
All this keeping in mind that all I have hooked up at this time is Shore Power and 12V.

Someone was nice enough to steal the propane tanks off the trailer before I received it.

Ram Freezy

Feb 24, 2013
I'm no expert, but it sounds like it could be a blockage in the refrigerant tubes. If the ammonia and hydrogen can't mix in the evaporator, cooling won't occur. Without proper circulation, the electric heating element (or flame) would just heat up the whole circuit. That, or a leak throwing your solution out of balance. Either way probably not good news. Here are a few links I found on how the system works and troubleshooting. Good luck.

http://vintageservelrefrigerators.8k.com/HowItWorks.html

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/02/rv-absorption-refrigeration-cooling.html

http://www.texasrvdirectory.com/articles/repair-rv-refrigerator.html

http://www.rvrefrigerator.net/Troubleshooting.htm

LjohnSaw

So many fish, so little time...
Jun 24, 2011
Northern California
I think you must have plugged it in backwards... [;)]

I have no clue where the link might be, but a Dometic repair man was talking about running your fridge when it is not level. That will "break" it. The balance of ammonia and such in different states gets messed up. It can get to a point that running level won't cure it. His cure - remove the unit and turn it upside down (forget the amount of time). This will cause all the solution to drain down somewhere and "resets" the system. Sounds crazy but is supposed to work.

You mentioned that you have only 120 and 12v available (missing propane tank). Make SURE that you only have one or the other turned on. Otherwise, it will overheat.

00 Quad Cab

Mar 5, 2016
Thank you for the help, found the owners manual, not a lot of troubleshooting in it but one of the things they mention is uninstalling it and placing it on it's left side for at least an hour. Going to try to pull it out tomorrow night an give it a shot.

EV2

Mar 18, 2008
00 Quad Cab said:
Thank you for the help, found the owners manual, not a lot of troubleshooting in it but one of the things they mention is uninstalling it and placing it on it's left side for at least an hour. Going to try to pull it out tomorrow night an give it a shot.
We are assuming that you know that it has to be relatively level when in operation, correct?

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
You should check LP first, it could be the electric element that is bad...I have rotated a few by sitting them on the workbench and turning it over for a couple of days, but if that works it is usually for a short period of time before it dies again. If you are handy You can order a rebuild kit to replace the insides quite a bit cheaper than buying a rebuilt one or new one