refrigerator not staying lit

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by rideon, Aug 24, 2008.

1. rideon

rideon Member

When I switch my frige to gas, it want stay lit over 5 minutes. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

2001 Coleman Bayside
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    2002 Toyota 4-Runner

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hey,

First off, you may want to check your gas supply with a stove burner - watch it for a few minutes and see if there are major variations in flame height/color that might indicate a pressure problem, or maybe a bad tank????

One 'mechanical' issue that may be the cause of the fridge problem is the thermocouple on it. This device keeps the gas flowing as long as the burner remains hot - this is why you have to hold down the control button for 30-45 seconds after you light the fridge to allow the burner to warm and the thermocouple to open up. If it is malfunctioning, it can erroneously shut off the gas even though the burner is burning.

Knock on wood, I have had little/no problems with any of my camper fridges over the years.

Todd

Wife, 3 Kids, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, The Wabbit
    '88 Palomino TXL hardsider
    '93 Ford E-350 Van

3. rideon

rideon Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

2001 Coleman Bayside
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    2002 Toyota 4-Runner

4. KISMETT

KISMETT New Member

Another thing to check - make sure the fire box at the base of the chimney is clear of all debris. Rust has a habit of building up there as well as pine needles etc. If you have access to a compressor, just stand aside & blow the area out. This area requires good air flow in order to keep the flame lit.