Refrigerator question

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Mtlangst, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

how long does it take for a small fridge to get to it’s coldest once plugged in? How can you tell if a fridge is good to go when looking at it? I am looking at a camper in an hour and asked owner to plug in camper to run fridge but he stated they usually plug it a couple days before using it.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Assume you are looking at a 120v fridge? If it has a small freezer compartment, usually upper right, it should be cold to the touch.

3. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

It’s in a 2011 rockwood freedom. And thanks for the advice.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

It will take bout a day for the fridge to get cold. I doubt if you can tell any difference in an hour

5. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Is it a 3 way? Unless you plan on camping with full hookups most of the time I would want to see it working on propane.
    I think you will be able to get a sense if it is cooling within an hour of it running.

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Mine will be at or below freezing in less than 12 hours if I plug it in and let it sit overnight.

Within an hour, the coils in the back should be warm and the cooling plates in the fridge/freezer should be fairly cool.

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

X1
    Reach inside and touch the cooling fins. It will be readily apparent if it's working.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It does take hours for them to get cold, but the fins inside the fridge should be getting cool in an hour.

9. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

So we are going on our first trip in our ntu pu camper. Should we plus the camper in a day in advance to get the fridge cold prior to leaving?

10. davido

davido Active Member

3-way fridges (or 2-way if no 12v mode) take awhile to cool, and by awhile, I mean that in a race between the fridge cooling, and the heat death of the universe happening, the fridge has a slight advantage. ;)

You shouldn't be as concerned with whether or not the 120v system works for the fridge so much as whether or not the propane will light and run. It's possible for the 120v not to work, but far more likely that the propane mode isn't working. If it ignites and stays lit, the coils in back will be fairly warm to the touch in an hour, and within a matter of minutes warmth will be felt at the chimney inside the back panel.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  11. Jan Cristo

Jan Cristo New Member

We had our first real camping experience with full hook-ups last week and fell in love with our little Aliner all over again! Glamping at it's best! But our refrigerator isn't working. Before we decide whether to repair or purchase another one, I'm wondering about a few things. After it's cool if we spend 5 or 6 hours on the road, will our food still be good when we reach our destination? And if we do this for several days in a row? Has anyone replaced the fridge with a top of the line cooler? I can't even think of other alternatives so any feedback you can share will be appreciated. We'd only be using electricity - not propane. We don't live in our camper, but we do want to take some extended vacations across the country and need to have more information than we have now!

12. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We only use our fridge for storage. It just never got cold enough. Don’t use campgrounds so I’m not sure how it would do on 120v. A good cooler and ice has served us well. And please don’t think you have to spend $500. Our 15 year Igloo Marine holds ice for four days.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This depends on the fridge and trailer combo. Popups, etc, with no roof vent for the fridge may keep things cool only a couple hours. Adding blue ice or big blocks of ice and having a full fridge and fridge exhaust fan can extend that to up to 4 to 6 hours.

Doing it everyday will be less effective because you will not be able to get it down to optimal cooling in an overnight period.

Many popup folks do it successfully. Some RVers replace it with a residential dorm fridge if they will always have hookups. I would replace as I prefer dry campgrounds and prefer the fridge to an ice chest. Just personal preference and financial considerations at that point.

Blackripley likes this.
  14. tfurgeson

tfurgeson New Member

My 2008 rockwood high-wall has a 3 way that will take at least a full 24 hours and I hear this all the time. Many people with full RVs turn the fridge on 24 hours before they go... not an option with my popup. I will often buy a small chunk of dry ice from the local grocer on my way out of town... popping that in the freezer when we first setup seems to jump start things. I'm sure someone here will explain this will likely kill your pets and blow the roof off your camper... but it works for me.

15. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I simply add a frozen 2 liter bottle in mine and a fridge fan. In 3 hours it’s under 40 degrees.

Blackripley and xxxapache like this.
  16. tfurgeson

tfurgeson New Member

Wire in a fridge fan? I've watched those YouTube videos... your 2 liter solution probably won't kill pets of blow the top off the pop up. Good call.

17. Natureangel

I use a small battery operated fridge fan

18. tfurgeson

tfurgeson New Member

I don't know anything about these... would you mind posting a photo or link on amazon of the one you have had success with?

19. Natureangel

tfurgeson likes this.
  20. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Just removed our Dometic Frig - its not worthy - the Engel 12V Frig will be occupying that space - here is an interim arrangement. We have a solar system to power all the ALiner systems, and the Engel, which worked well on our last trip.

Attached Files:

tfurgeson likes this.