Refrigerator Questions

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by David Tye, May 20, 2020 at 9:32 AM.

1. David Tye

David Tye New Member

Hello all,
    We have a Coleman Sante Fe, 2001 model and have questions regarding the refrigerator. Ours is a 3-way Dometic, about 1.5 cu ft. Could not find a model number. I assume it's the same age as the PUP itself. Fired it up on 110VAC to test it out and not terribly impressed with the performance. I understand these are liquified ammonia absorption systems, and perhaps not quite the same expectations should be made relative to more conventional pump driven systems. Anyway, I noted 40 degrees inside the fridge after leaving the door shut overnight and the control knob on '7'. The ambient temp was around 70 degrees overnight, and about 80 degrees the previous day. So about a 30 degree drop in temp from ambient. Is this about right? Or should I have the unit serviced? Many thanks...
    Pat

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Level it and try on propane. I have found that they are more efficient and perform better on propane. I've never actually measured the temp but everything passes my touch test even in 90 degree Florida heat.

kcsa75 and David Tye like this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png

4. David Tye

David Tye New Member

We'll give that a try.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Look in the model section for "fridge fan" mods..

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I'd use a glass of water with thermometer inside to measure temp.

Many of the fridge installs are poorly done, additional baffling helps then the addition of a fan for higher ambient temps.

See the install pics in the manual for your model, getting the chimney effect with 'baffel(s)'
    http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rm2193.pdf

7. David Tye

David Tye New Member

Thanks to all for the inputs! Quite helpful....

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Our PUP has it's original Dometic 3-way fridge and ours never gets quite cold enough on 120. Even with a small fridge fan inside. And ours doesn't work on 12v. Haven't tried it on propane yet. So for now we put our meats & dairy in an electric cooler than we can plug in in the TV while traveling and once we arrive, then plug in to the 120 plug on the outside of the camper. This actually works well because we can load up the electric cooler in the house, even the day before we leave. We use the fridge for drinks, fruit, condiments, etc.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

It's a Dometic RM2193, same model fridge I had in my 2003 Fleetwood Yuma. Poor performance is due either to a previous owner running to fridge when the trailer hasn't been sufficiently leveled or to improper factory installation in the trailer (i.e. inadequate baffling) or both. Mine wasn't damaged but the baffling sure wasn't what it should have been - check out the pics in my Yuma album which show how I improved the baffling.