Regaled with stories of getting ill while boondocking...

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Apr 1, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

A colleague of mine spent the better part of the last week boondocking at a hunters camp where my wife and I have been, in their TT.

Now this camping trip took actually 2 days longer than expected...

You see she is scared to death to tow the trailer, and he got sick, hugging the toilet and praying to the porcelain goddess sick.

They opted to wait it out until he was able to handle dealing with the trailer and driving back home until they broke camp.

And it makes me wonder, how common is this?

Years ago I spent an extended amount of time in camp due to getting a bad lunch on the way through to camp, pretty much ruinign our trip. And that was a tenting trip. While travelling back was easier on us only having to deal with the truck itself no trailer, packing up to go was a royal pain in the tail, and being sick in a tent and barfing into a bucket was no fun at all...

So if you, or someone in your camp falls ill with say mild food poisoning, or the flu. What's your method of dealing with it?

It seems to me this brings home the point that all adults in the party should be able to handle towing, setting up, and breaking down camp, so that should the need arise to break camp and the one or ones that usually handle those tasks are unable to do so, the tasks still get done...

My wife is going to learn how to drive my truck that's for sure!

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Well, since I often solo camp, if I get sick, I stay put. I will say that I don't get that sick very often and it rarely comes on suddenly.

I have never gotten food poisoning and I know what foods may cause me digestive problems and don't eat them if I can't deal with a potential problem.

The worst I have had is that I have sleep issues and can quickly find myself too tired to do a long drive home. So I always make sure I have my sleeping pills with me and get a good night's sleep before a drive. I also do not hesitate in napping as needed.

I do definitely agree that if you travel with someone, you both need to be able to drive the vehicle. My dad had a heart attack while driving his large truck on the freeway. His friend was able to get him pulled over safely. Had something like that happened with my mom in the vehicle, it could easily have been a disaster because she wouldn't / couldn't drive his truck. And that's not even considering if he was towing something.

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

yes, all adults should be able to tow the camper and break camp. but the last time i let my hubby drive with the camper in tow, he scared us all with the speed, frequent lane changes and lack of space between us and others (i.e. right up on the bumper of the car ahead of us before those lane changes). He has not been behind the wheel of my car since, let alone towing my camper.
    And we did have a medical emergency on one trip and he ended up in the hospital overnight. we were camping 8 hours away from home, but my gal pals were willing to drive up to help me bring him and the camper home. Did not need it, but nice to know they would help if i needed it. Now if something happened to me that i was not able to drive home, well since we camp in campgrounds and don't boondock out in the wilderness - i am sure he can find help from the campground staff if needed, they are usually very helpful. And they can probably store the camper if needed as well.

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Yeah lead foot is not a good thing. Could be cause for other medical emergencies, or worse.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like mentioned above, I also have known digestive problems so avoid those foods when camping. Only once did I get some sort of bug mid trip, but it was gone by the time I had to pack up. Niece got the flu once on vacation when she was like 4 and it took me awhile to convince her it wasn't camping that caused it. Although she sure tried to say it was. Sorry kiddo, that was in your system long before this camping trip even though you didn't show the signs. Had my mom get heat stroke on one trip with me. Thank gosh a neighbor in a class A invited her inside and gave her water etc. She was able to cool off with no emergency room visit. Closed up early to go home on that trip.
    Sure taught me that I needed to upgrade my camper then if I took Mom with me. Otherwise no issues. Because I camp Alone many times or with my niece I would stay at the campground if I do become that sick. Although I sure do push myself. When traveling with Mom, she knows enough to get us off the road if I become incapacitated. You most certainly don't want her behind the wheel for any longer, or that would become a different emergency.:shocked:

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I still camp solo on some trips, so both of us have known how to pack, hitch, and tow the campers.
    We've done a couple of trips where one or the other of us was not 100% before the trip, so the other has done the majority of the work.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I always have Imodium AD when I either solo canoe or RV camp.I will, if necessary extend my stay due to bad weather. I have never been ill when camping but I make sure everything is safe to eat. I also filter my water for filling the tank or at the CG when hooked to utilities.
    My wife drove cattle trailers for years on the farm and has no problems driving if needed, in fact she is better at backing the TT due to my limited neck movement range. In fact on my 2 back ops. she drove me home and pulled the TT once and the PUP once for both upper and lower ops.(Dr. orders)

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I second the Imodium, and we have Pepto on hand as well. Both DW and I can tow. DW prefers not to do so in the city, but she can do it. She's not real confident backing the rig in, but in a "get me home" scenario backing in to a space nicely isn't a high priority. The problem is, if I was so sick I couldn't drive, I don't know why I would be able to be a passenger any easier. So, breaking camp we could both do, and I would help a little, if only to recite the next step. Everything heavy is electric anyway. I'd be more worried about being physically incapacitated. My back is bothersome and not being able to ride in the TV (without terrible pain) at all is possible. I suppose I should stock some of the muscle relaxers I have for those occasions in the TV (not the TT).

In general though, yes, both should be able to handle the rig. Being totally stuck is easily preventable.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Both should be able to drive, at least to get to town.

Many years ago, my parents were camp hosts and an older camper became seriously ill. They suspected a stroke. His wife couldn't drive their motorhome (and he couldn't ride on the back of my parents' motorcycle), so they called the Forest Service via radio and a FS crew working nearby came to get the camper and wife to the hospital. In the meantime, my dad called me by ham radio. I then called the camper's son, who drove 3 hrs to get the motorhome. It turned out to be altitude sickness.

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I would say that it is a very good idea to teach your spouse how to handle a camping rig no matter what it is. Having a back up plan is never a bad thing.

Years ago, I got pneumonia on a trip to the Green Bay WI area. We were using the FIL's dually with a massive Lance camper on the back at the time. Luckily, the DW was a bus driver with her Class B (air brakes) license and had experience with larger vehicles.

I was puking all the way to the Twin Cities from Green Bay and grateful I did not have to be relied upon to get the family home (and me to the hospital).

Being a Vikings fan, I still say I got sick because my body was rejecting me as I was too deep into Packer's country.[LOL]

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

@BikeNFish - maybe you just didn't get enough cheese curds!! (I reside about 30 minutes South of Green Bay FWIW) [:)C]

BikeNFish likes this.
  12. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We have a toiletry bag with all our basic OTC meds with us. Worst sickness is kids with sinus stuff. Wife gets bad migranes too. We camp even if we're sick. You'll be sick at home for a couple of days or sick in the camper a couple of days. Rather be in a camper.

13. neighbormike

I keep trying to teach Lexie how to tow - in case I was ill or drank some "tainted soda"... So far it's a no-go. [:D][DOG]

jmkay1 likes this.
  14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Entire family puking roughly 7 hours later from each other’s germs. Yeah it happens and wrecks a trip. Small campers lol.

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We've been lucky in the fact no one has gotten sick while camping. Yeah, my DW and DS have allergies but that's it. In our toiletries bag we have some basic stuff allergies and head-colds. Also, Advil and Alleeve.

The worst thing that ever happened was my DW has a serious muscle spasm in her lower back on our way to Yellowstone. She couldn't help setup at all! We ended up going to the park infirmary. When we got there they had to use a wheelchair to get her inside. The doctor looked at her and gave her a shot and a prescription so we had to drive out to West Yellowstone from Grant CG to get it filled. We picked some other stuff up for her as well. She was a real trooper as she purchased a walking stick and most of the time kept up with us. So it's not always getting sick, other injuries you might have to deal with.

If you threw you back out camping solo, what would you do?

16. neighbormike

^^ Often worried about that... especially with a pup! I now have a pretty easy setup so hopefully it'll be less of a concern.

17. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

My wife has celiac disease which is a serious auto-immune disorder where the immune system attacks parts of the body in the presence of grain glutens.

We were travelling to a distant campground in MN, and we had just set up camp when my wife had severe and sudden chest and abdominal pain which we thought was a heart attack. We spent the evening in a hospital ER with her on a monitor and an IV.

My wife had bought a mini tube of Pringles chips at a gas station thinking they were just potato chips. It turned out that what appeared to be a heart attack was a serious gluten auto immune reaction. The skin on her fingers that touched the chips also peeled off. Looking later at the Pringles label, we found out that they contain wheat.

That was a big scare and a trip-ending $500+ ounce of chips. We are now even more vigilant in reading labels, and assume nothing. We bring most of our own food with us.
    81LuK5zlGOL._SL1500_.jpg

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I think the big lesson here is that you need to be aware of food allergies as well as severe injuries. Also be very aware of where the closest medical clinic or better yet, hospital are located.

I am a firm believer that everyone who goes camping (especially backpacking and boondocking) should be CPR certified and Wilderness First Aid certified or at least have a good knowledge of first aid. Depending where you are, you could be a few hours away from help! So the person you are with could be dependent upon you for assistance till help arrives. Or worse, giving yourself first aid!

In other words, Be Prepared!

Ok, I finished my rant!!! [A]

19. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Well folks, this is good conversation. And something everyone should be aware of. Surprises happen, just because something hasn't happend yet doesn't mean it won't. I mean none of us reading this right now have died yet, doesn't mean it won't eventually happen. Best to be prepared...

20. Morning Glory

Morning Glory New Member

Don't forget an EPI pen if someone in your group has bad allergies (sister highly allergic to bees) or inhaler and steroids for those with really bad asthma (son). Might still end up at hospital but will be alive to get there.