1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Today kicks off a weekend of remembrance; not for the living, but for the fallen, & for them alone...raise a glass & be grateful for the price of freedom paid by those who stepped up & stepped out...
    1917094_593982397422362_2422927958189588940_n.jpg

2. adkdave

adkdave Member

Just want to give a remembrance to my father-in-law who served in the Army Air Corp during WWII and passed away on 5/13. He loved playing golf, scotch whiskey and his family. Each year we lose more and more of those guys and we tend to forget some of the things they endured for us. It is comical to see people today shouting about their constitutional rights because they are asked to wear a mask or practice social distancing. Read some stories about D-Day, Tarawa, Battle of the Bulge, etc. it will help put our present day circumstances in perspective. Many of those soldiers would have been more than happy to stay at home for a couple of months to help win a war.

Twinmum, Camper054, Rik Peery and 2 others like this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It is a sad day for me, being in the military for 22+ years I lost some good friends over the years and a few were family especially during Nam. I think of them quite a lot.

4. adkdave

adkdave Member

I have a good backpacking buddy who is a Nam vet, 70 years old. The older he got the more he has been haunted by his experience there (exposed to agent orange, wounded,etc). He still goes to counseling to help him deal with it. Time doesn't heal all wounds.

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

My uncle and namesake flew into mainland Europe during that war in a B-17G but his plane went down in the Baltic sea not long before there last mission. All crew lost and of course there B-17 was never found. Thanks to all who served.

6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Thank you to all who served and died in service to our Country. We must never forget the fallen.

Twinmum, DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.
  7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Copy that.

Twinmum and Rik Peery like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It was a long time before I could sleep after Nam (and a few other things I had been thru) I actually slept with my eyes open for a long time, but I was one of the lucky ones that made it home whereas the real heroes did not make it back, some still haven't made the trip home but hopefully they will one day.

9. adkdave

adkdave Member

I always felt bad for you Viet Nam Vets. You fought in a mismanaged and unpopular war. Many of you had no choice but to serve or else. The general public rarely thanked you. There were no welcoming home parades or celebrations for your sacrifice. More often than not you were looked down upon. You suffered the same physical and mental wounds as any other soldier doing his duty. Thanks for your service.