Remembering My First Pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Ken Lane, May 7, 2019.

1. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

One score and 16 years ago I bought my first Pup. My family and I purchased what we knew would be a gateway to family fun and adventure from a Coleman dealer in Shickshinny PA. They had a shiny brand new tan Columbia Pup with an awning and the whole works. It had an ice box, a gas stove, and lights if you had a hookup. We paid extra for a spare tire and mount. After experiencing tent and boat camping this Pup was down right comfortable and it had room for the wife and our young children. You could cook inside and those pull out bunks were soft. I don't remember that it had hot water. It did not have any kind of cooling other than the ceiling vent and no heating system either but so what it had a water proof roof and plenty of room inside compared to our tent. The screens get the bugs at bay too. Plus you never woke up with wet feet from waves breaking over the bow in the middle of the night. Heck could even leave your camping things stored inside between trips. Back then I pulled it with my medium blue metallic Ford LTD station wagon with factory air shocks. The family was happy. We were hooked. What was your first?

2. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

We had a 1979 Lionel when I was a kid. My parents got it in 1982 when I was a kid and dad pulled it with a never ending stream of K-Cars. I guess he never learned....

In 98, the retired the Lionel and got a Coleman Santa Fe, which was the height of luxury compared to the old beast. A/C, a fridge, a bed you could get to without climbing over the table.... canvas that didn’t need patching every spring (or more)

About 10 years ago, that Santa Fe became mine and while she’s getting old, it’s still the family cottage (on wheels). I’m sinking money in every year but it’s worth more to me than a newer one could ever be. Just sort of wish dad had bought one with a front cargo box or a slide out back then - but he was towing with a Plymouth Acclaim, so it was already at the upper limit (we used to keep it pretty spartan)

Now, I tow the old girl with a big Volvo XC90 V8. Fully laden (and we do load it up), we get real close to the trailer’s limits but we don’t care.

Loved the old Lionel. Loved the smell of a hundred weekend trips, old forests, and old campfires when we opened up in spring - the Coleman canvas doesn’t hold in smells the same way

3. Eric Webber

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. Eric Webber

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. Eric Webber

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We all have fond memories of our first PUP (something like our first girlfriend) mine was an actual tent camper, a one wheel Sears, had two hook ups to hook to the bumper, easiest thing to back up tho as it went where the truck went and was huge when opened all canvass for the tent portion.

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

It's easy to remember our first... We still have it. 1976 Starmaster 8... Same make, year and model my father had when we were kids. Dad and I worked on his all summer long, every summer. I happened across mine a few years back and I think I work on it more than I camp in it. Every minute in it is a joy and even though my dad's been gone a long time now, I still feel a part of him is there working on it with me in spirit. I might upgrade someday, but I will be sure to pass that camper down if I ever get something new.

8. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We bought a new 1989 Starcraft Starflyer and pulled it with a 1987 Dodge Grand Caravan. We had to sell it two years later due to my job loss which made us really sad. It wasn’t until 2001 before I bought a used 1994 Starcraft Starflyer in great condition. In 2012 we traded her in on our New TT. We had a lot of great memories with the PUP but we were bringing everything except the kitchen sink when we camped. We realized that we wanted more creature comforts that it was pretty much made sense to move up. My back thanks me for that. We managed to pay it off in a couple years.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  9. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I still have my 1st pup. 1989 Coleman Newport. Gets used 4-6 times a year.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

1969 Coleman CT380, purchased new. Not all that much different from my much later 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe - stepper door, seamless plastic roof.

[​IMG]

I was camping with my young nephews on July 20, 1969 when Neil Armstrong first stepped on to the lunar surface.

Camper054, Sjm9911, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Bought a Palomino on a whim bout 20 years ago, drove by an RV place & pulled in just to look around, ended up taking it home; it had a storage doo-dad on the front, no AC, but was nice & the wife loved it...kept it 4 or 5 years & sold it & went back to ground pounding, finally got off the ground again w/ an Aliner & a Sylvansport Go tent camper last year...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Our first popup camper was 2007 Fleetwood HW Sequoia - a luxury camper that we've ever had. Set up & Break down is always a pain, but we still miss it. DSC_00841.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Sjm9911 and Pommom70 like this.
  13. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

The first one was a Coleman Sun Valley. Traded in my motorcycle in on it in 1983 because of a bad accident. I lost my nerve to ride it. The camper was a better change. The children were young and they loved camping as did my DW.

Sjm9911 and Ken Lane like this.
  14. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Bought my first in January, but my mom has fond memories of an old Nimrod from the 70's.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

We decided to get a camper to take the kids camping. I have no idea what brand this thing was. This was in the early 80s. That thing was huge, it had three fold out beds & could seat ten around the table. It also had a very large screen room with it also. We used it for a couple years then sold it because we never had the time to camp. It was a rough PU, but served its purpose.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our first was a 1977 Apache Royal hard sided pop up. It was lime green and SWEET! I'm still looking for it, to buy it back, to this day. I doubt I will ever find it since we live 1,000 miles away from where I sold it, but I do check the sales up there, too. It has some distinct features that I will recognize immediately.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You forgot the name of the pup in the picture! In front of the camper.

18. penny

penny Well-Known Member

our very first was an aluminum Apache tent trailer with two beds and a storage cabinet between them. a tent on wheels, really. our second was a very small palomino we bought from some neighbors. In rapid sucession with a growing family, we went to used campers of different sizes. each has it's own memories, often we recall a trip. Memories based on which camper we owned when the water froze in May, or the tranny overheated in August.

19. daveman

daveman Member

88 StarCraft Starflyer...bought it for 500$ in 2002 with broken lift cables and needing new tires.

Best investment ever...once I was done crawling around replacing that damned cable. No leaks, a little repairable floor and bunk end work, I considered it pre-worn for the 5 kids. Kept it in good roadworthy shape and gave it away in 2012 to a single mom we knew who needed a break in more ways than one. It's still alive out there :)

Camper054 likes this.
  20. rosetrav

rosetrav New Member

My first pup was a 1967 Apache Eagle, sounds like what penny had too. Sold it for more than I paid for it and regret it all the time. Well, last week I found a sweet little 1979 Rockwood that I couldn't pass up. It needs a little work of course, but, I'm really excited about it. Will properly introduce myself and take some pictures to post.