Removable Hitch

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Beansandrobes, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Beansandrobes

Beansandrobes New Member

Hello,
    I currently want to purchase from a private seller a 2007 Jayco Baja 10y. It has a huge area on the tongue for storage and/equipment. Problem is that it makes it about 3 feet too long for my garage in which I have to
    Store. There is 4 feet from hitch to beginning of storage area. Has anybody had experience with a removable tongue? Or even cutting away a few feet of the storage area and shortening trailer that way? I know they do them with boats all the time but, this is an a frame so might be different. I know I can get a smaller trailer or different model, but I like this one the most of all we’ve seen.

2. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

If it was my pup, I'd mod the tongue before I cut down the frame. As you mentioned, I've seen it on boats and pups on the straight drawbar, not on the whole A frame. I have seen similar on farm implements. I think the idea is possible, basically stubbing the "A" at the frame and building receivers, then relocating the tanks and such. I'll guess being in SoCal, there is a good trailer or fab shop around there somewhere to consult on the idea with.

Good luck.

Beansandrobes likes this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I’d mod the garage door before I’d before I’d do anything to the camper!

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Unless you find a really good fabricator I wouldn't mess with the frame. Either modify the garage door or keep looking for a camper!

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

With any modification that permits movement (folding) of the tongue, clearance tolerances have to be introduced. Clearance in the pivot pin hinge, clearance for the lock pin and latch, etc. If the clearances are too big (or get to big due to wear), slop is introduced which can create the camper side to side (or up and down, or both) movement while towing. If modified from the A frame to a single folding tow arm, then you have flex plus the clearance issue.

Beansandrobes likes this.
  6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It would be easy to just shorten or remove the storage area. I would guess at about 300 to 400 at a welder shop.

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

A good fabricator is a must here.

8. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

So I needed about an extra two feet. I removed the spare tire for 1 ft and I modded my garage for the other foot. I was able to extend the garage into a crawl space for the extra ft. My situation is somewhat unique as the garage sits in front of the house, but 4 ft below the main floor level.

9. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

For those suggesting modifying the garage door... just what kind of modifications do you have in mind?

FARfetched likes this.
  10. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing... Are you supposed to cut a giant hole in the door for the tongue to stick out? Lol

FARfetched likes this.
  11. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Balthisar said:
    For those suggesting modifying the garage door... just what kind of modifications do you have in mind?
    I was wondering the same thing... Are you supposed to cut a giant hole in the door for the tongue to stick out? Lol

Pretty simple if you have a roll down garage door - lower the door down as far as it will go until contacting the trailer's A-frame, then design a structure to enclose the tongue and close off the open area below the garage door.

Haybale likes this.
  12. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

This sounds ghetto... And would look horrible. Wouldn't be secure. And are you supposed to move this ridiculous structure every time you want to park your vehicle in the garage?

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I have see people post pictures of their modified garage doors. Whether they cut a hole in a single piece door or rolled down and closed in the rest.

My pup has a removable hitch for easy storage, which will make it easy when I want to extend the hitch by 2 feet.

14. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

GreyFox said:
    Pretty simple if you have a roll down garage door - lower the door down as far as it will go until contacting the trailer's A-frame, then design a structure to enclose the tongue and close off the open area below the garage door.

Perhaps "ridiculous" to you but a solution that will effectively extend the length of one's garage, which is the OP's concern. As to how it "looks" I don't see that as an issue, it's just a matter of attention to detail.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just throwing this out there. Unless you have a city ordinance or HOA that prevents you from leaving the camper outside, I would just leave it outside. I live in a very strict city so I have to store my camper at on off-site storage lot. Yeah it sucks but I didn't have to modify anything. Im thankful my storage fees arnt that high. You just have to keep up on your roof maintenance.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  16. Beansandrobes

Beansandrobes New Member

Ok so I am picking it up tomorrow. I found a trailer builder who made me a retractable tongue. Not folding. He saves me 4 feet so I can fit in garage our city does have ordinance and it’s impossible
    To Mod my garage. Local storage is $200+ a month and at the cost of this trailer woulda make sense to do. I’ll post a pic too.

17. Beansandrobes

Beansandrobes New Member

54A12088-B615-47E6-9F01-E6E0D951B4F1.png

1380ken likes this.
  18. Beansandrobes

Beansandrobes New Member

90C5253E-6602-49AA-909F-52AB79254C30.jpeg Old trailer before mod

19. Beansandrobes

Beansandrobes New Member

Check out the pics I posted. I found a trailer builder who made me a reatractable single tongue trailer but supported it plenty to not flex and be ok with allowable weight.

20. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Interesting! Didn't know that was possible. Thanks for the pictures