Remove 3 way Fridge and install a window AC?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by D in AZ, Dec 13, 2018.

1. D in AZ

D in AZ New Member

Has anyone removed their 3 way refrigerator and installed a window AC in its place? We don't use the refrigerator, and a 5-6000 btu window unit would fit into the space nicely. Just wondering if it has been done. Thanks!

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

If you do this the AC will be low, you will need a deflector to get the air higher, I did something like that and made a deflector out of a piece of thin plexiglass it worked good for me.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

And a 5-6K BTU A/C isn't enough to keep a pup cool. The roof top units are 13-15k BTU

4. davido

davido Active Member

If you are camping at below 82f fine, but then why bother. ;)

Otherwise, probably under powered relative to roof top RV air conditioners, and blowing cold air at your feet where it will mostly stay thanks to the laws of thermo-convection.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im thinking he could fit in a bigger unit. Additionally sometimes just getting the moisture out of the air makes the heat more barable. So maybe a 6000 btu ac , while not getting the pup cold might help make it comfortable. The pups do get hot though, so i would go bigger.

Lebowski16 likes this.
  6. davido

davido Active Member

Sounds reasonable assuming the install can be well done.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think the biggest problem is the Heat the AC will create if it's not sticking out the side of the Pup.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I've seen something very similar done. They had to use multiple fans to push the air off the floor. Even then it still struggled to get it in the bunk ends. I considered using a window unit on a shelf outside in my old camper. Cutting a hole in the screen to get it in the camper. That way it would be higher off the ground and hopefully the air will stay above ground level longer. Ultimately when my old camper died before I tried. I then decided a rooftop AC was a must on my next camper. I just didn't think a window unit will be enough in a popup. Especially in the temps I've camped in.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The most common size of RV A/C is 13,500 BTU, mounted on the roof for one simple reason - cold air falls, hot air rises. A 6000 BTU A/C mounted lower down in the side wall of the trailer obviously won't be anywhere near as effective, however it will be better than nothing. That said, any A/C will deal with the heat load far more effectively by using Reflectix in each of the six bunk end windows, as well as PUG solar covers over each bunk end. Blocking the bunk ends off from the camper's main body during the day would also help.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

A 13.5k BTU has a hard time keeping a pup cool in the heat of the day. A 6K is only half of BTU's the 13.5 unit. It won't begin to make a difference

11. GreyFox

Disagree. Using PUGs over the bunk end tenting and Reflectix window inserts our 13,500 BTU Carrier AirV would freeze us out of our Santa Fe even when camping in southern states in the summer.

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Must have something wrong with my new unit. Even with a duct temp of 48 degrees it never would get cold enough to freeze us out inside. How would a 6000 BTU unit keep it cooler or as cool as than a 13,000BTU unit.
    If the mfg.'s could get by with using a smaller unit, (cheaper) they would.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Our 2018 Aliner Scout has a 5000 BTU AC under the back bunk. It is too small for even the 12' Aliner with no dormers. The conditioned air never makes it off the floor, unless we use multiple fans to move the air away from the return and one fan on the dinette aimed up to push the warm air down from the peak. It's worse at night when you pull the bed out. Then the conditioned air aimed up, hits the bottom of the bed, then hits the lip of the pull out and is forced down. This forms an AC cave, since the return air vent is under the bed too. It is a terrible design.

14. GreyFox

You're conveniently disregarding what I said, which was - "Using PUGs over the bunk end tenting and Reflectix window inserts ...". Keeping the interior of a tent camper comfortable in really hot weather isn't just about generating cold air but retaining as much of that cold air and not letting it leak out through the tenting, nor letting the sun bake the tops of the bunk ends. Makes a BIG difference.

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I guess I got bad PUG's also

16. GreyFox

Maybe, but in an A-frame trailer what other choice is there? [?:~{] Your roof won't support the weight of a 100 lb roof mount A/C so the trailer body is the only other place it can be located. In the OP's case no one is arguing that a roof top A/C wouldn't be the best solution, but that's not the point. He merely wants to remove the fridge which he isn't using anyway and use that space to locate a window style A/C. It may not be an ideal solution but will be better than nothing at all, especially if he takes the advice to use PUGs and Reflectix window inserts, along with a fan or two to help better distribute the air inside the camper.

17. GreyFox

PUGs alone help, PUGs + Reflectix inserts make a BIG difference. Try it, you might just be surprised at how effective this combination can be.

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Older Aliners had the AC in the side of the camper, where the conditioned air could be aimed up and was not compromised at night.

20. GreyFox

The OP wants to mount an A/C in the side wall of his camper as well, I'm sure that directing the cooled air upwards wouldn't be much of an issue at all.