Remove Galley?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by SueH8, Oct 17, 2016.

1. SueH8

SueH8 New Member

We are brand new to popup camping after 40 years of tent camping. Our new-to-us Coleman Mesa has a swing up galley/gas stove. I'm not crazy about the idea of cooking in a tent (for a number of reasons) and don't think we will use the sink. Any thoughts or experience with just removing the whole thing to get more floor space?

2. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Welcome to the forum! I suggest you take her out a few times and you might find you like the stove or sink. I love my sink for quick wash ups, brushing teeth etc.

3. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

I am with Natureangel...we switched from tent to pop-up and we thought we wouldn't use the amenities much--now we do and can't live without the sink, stove (we only use it outside the PUP--many discussions on this), fridge and even the heater!

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

You will probably find a 50/50 split here regarding using these items.
    I have never used my inside stove or sink . Some do some don't

5. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

We tried using the amenities at first. Now the sink is just a bit of counter space that we know things won't get knocked off of. We've only used the stove inside once or twice, but it's the center of our outdoor kitchen.

If you can find a better use for the space, go for it!

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Try it for at least a couple of trips. We ground camped for a lot of years. When we bought our first pup, we figured we'd use the sink, and not the stove. It turned out just the opposite. We ended up removing the sinks in both popups, to make more counter space.
    We preferred to cook outside, but even the ability to heat water inside was more than enough for us to keep the stove. We cooked simple things inside, and it was a treat to do so in lousy weather.
    With the pups we had, removing the galley would have resulted in far less storage. Also, look at how your pup is built, in some the frames of the galley, benches and the like add stability to the side walls.

Full disclosure: now that we're in a small TT, we have kept the sink, since we have a water heater and waste tanks. We have cooked more inside this year than usual, partly due to shelter issues. Hoping to get that resolved so we can set up our outdoor kitchen again next year. OTOH, nice to have an inside option for short stops, bad weather, and short days, the pups and TT extended our camping season by quite a bit.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have seen where some just removed the upper portion of the gally but left the base. If you plan to remove the whole cabinet you may need to consider putting something in to brace the back wall. As for using it, I do, only during bad weather. Most of the time I cook outside. Nothing like sideways rain to change ones mind.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

First, welcome to the forum!

I have seen lots of people do what you are considering. Do a search on this forum for "removing galley" or "galley removal" and you'll find the threads.

However, I would encourage you to not remove them without doing a few trial runs to be sure you are not going to use them, especially the sink. There are so many advantages to having running water on your campsite, and it's much more convenient than hauling jugs.

The stove is low pressure and should have a high back and sides that protect the surrounding areas from heat. It's perfectly safe to cook on. You would almost have to be trying in order to start the canvas on fire. The only reason for not cooking in your PUP is if you plan to camp in bear country.

Having said all of that, both the sink and the stove become flat surfaces that can be used as counter tops, if you are not using them. If the cutting board top is missing from your sink, you can likely easily find a replacement. So, even if you are not using them, there is no real advantage to removing them.

9. travisma

travisma New Member

We haven't used the sink/stove in our 86 Coleman since we got it 2 years ago. Our last PUP we owned the sink was always leaking and my wife didn't like using flames inside of the PUP. Before our last trip I pulled the entire counter top off of the fold up cabinet and replaced it with a piece of plywood. The flat surface was much more useful to us. Also taking out the gas/water/drain lines gave us more storage space in the base cabinet.

But like others have said, give them a try (if they are safe and secure), before you take anything out.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the sink. My pup has a reasonable-sized sink with a tall faucet and a water pump and we find it indispensable. It seems those who hate their sinks have a tiny sink, often with hand pump.

Our stove is indoor/outdoor and we use it outdoors 99% of the time. If it's pouring rain to the degree that we don't even want to be outside cooking under the awning, or extremely cold (the only time we did this, it was 31 degrees out in the morning) we might cook inside.

If I had a "built in" stove I personally wouldn't remove it... I'd just come up with a counter board or some other way to use that "wasted" space when I wasn't actually using the stove.

11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We have the same pup as the OP. I cant imagine not having the stove. We need the coffee brewing while we slowly wake up. One step out that door and there's no more climbing back in the bed. I could do without the sink but not the stove.

12. Orchid

Ours has a big sink with tall faucet and hot / cold knobs just like a kitchen sink. I can't imagine not having it. I did have a small sink with a pump type faucet in a previous PUP, but still would not part with it. I'm a chronic hand washer.

Built in stoves have metal back that lifts up, with sides that swing out, just like the outdoor Coleman stoves. When not in use, they only stick up off the counter top about .5" and have a nice, flat surface.

Ours came with an outdoor stove too, but it's mounted in the cargo area, and attaches to the side. It's not the big boxy kind that you have to use for both. I'm guessing the OP's is the same since it's a Coleman.

SUEH8, Not sure why you want floor space, rather than counter space or seating. Floor space isn't very valuable real estate in a camper. But, I would be very cautious about removing the entire thing as it could compromise the integrity of the camper. Most campers rely on the interior cabinets for stability.

If you really don't want the galley, or the counter space, I would consider just removing the top and making a bench there.

13. SueH8

SueH8 New Member

Thanks for so much input in such short order - who knew! Please enlighten me re:structural integrity issues if I remove the galley. I honestly don't think I would ever cook in any type of tent; critters are brazen enough when marauding outdoor cooking spaces. Floor space can be problematic when mobility is an issue - just trying to figure things out here.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The walls of a camper are very thin. Without the interior support from the cabinets it could crack etc under the pressure and vibration of travel. I have read where someone took out a cabinet, but added support braces to the wall. Another option is to take some of the cabinet down but make it narrower still keeping the back portion of the cabinet to support the camper wall. I haven't a clue to how to do any of this, but hopefully someone else could chime in. Perhaps reach out to those who have rebuilt their popups.

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If I was going to remove the galley in my Mesa I would replace the botton unit with a new cabinet or bench.

16. Orchid

Ah, I see. Yes, that does make floor space much more valuable.

^^^ This.

Depending on what is on each side of the galley, you may have to add more or less support. If it's completely removed, you will need at least something more than what is left after the galley is gone.

Do some searches here on the forum and see what you come up with. I know for sure there are people who have done it. Best of luck to you!

17. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

I would recommend camping with it and see what you use before making a decision. We use the sink a lot to wash hands and brush teeth.

I know people do this, but removing the galley seems strange to me. It's sort of the heart of the pup... what makes it an RV and upgrade from tent camping. You got a fridge, furnace, sink and stove. Without a sink, you won't need hot water, so remove the water heater. You won't need a pump either. Or the water tank. Fridge and furnace are gone. If you get a camp stove, you wouldn't even need gas on the trailer anymore, so ditch the tank on the tongue. Your trailer becomes a tent with two beds and a table on wheels. Resale value and appeal would take a hit. To each his or her own I suppose.

If floor space is or was paramount, I would or would have considered a pup with a slide out.