Removing Curtains

jcgolden

Jul 25, 2012
[PU]
Hello, we just bought a 2008 Fleetwood Avalon. This is an awesome PUC, but I can't figure out how to remove the curtains over the sink area. The two curtains were taken off and washed but put back on in the wrong order. One has hooks to keep the curtain from blowing over towards the stove, but it was put up in the wrong spot.
How do I remove the curtains without breaking the clips?

Thanks!

J [CP]

Erwin

Mar 21, 2008
Rochester, NY
Your Avalon may be different but in all the pups I have seen the curtains ride in a track with a screw at the end that keeps them from going too far and coming out of the track.
Remove the screw and slide the curtains out of the track.

jcgolden

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks. This is our 2nd PUC. We started 20 years ago with a 91 Flagstaff Cobra PUC. Then went to an 18' Fleetwood Wilderness travel trailer. From there we went to a 25' Fleetwood Wilderness Travel Trailer, and now have a 27' Fleetwood Wilderness with a nice bumpout!
Bought the PUC to take on a multi week journey from MA to TN. Easier to tow or stow if we decide to hotel it for one evening.

Will be exciting to get back to our "roots". Spent the day cleaning this giant rig!!! Now if I can just figure out how to remove this one curtain. The place we bought it (car lot) had washed them, so nice and clean....just need to put in the correct order!

jcgolden

Jul 25, 2012
The curtains that act as room dividers have the end screw and the small little metal hooks that sit in the track. The window curtains have a plastic tab that sits in a track also, but both ends are so tight (close) to the track the runs next to it, i can't figure out how to remove them without risking bending/breaking the plastic tab.
I thought there would be a space where the track ends, but doesn't appear to be so.
any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[RTM] Can't seem to find any place online that talks about this.
Since we bought this PUC I have visited here several times. What a great resource.

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Removing Curtains

I'm assuming that the plastic clips you're referring to are "C" shaped and that they're riveted to a plastic tape which is then sewn to the curtain fabric.

If that sounds about right, try grasping the curtain about two inches from one of the clips then pull down on the curtain. While maintaining the downward tension, pull the curtain away from the track and wall. The clip should snap out at the bottom. When it does, you can lift up the curtain and the top of the clip should be loose as well. Keep doing that until you've removed all of them.

The trick is to pull down just hard enough for the clip to open enough so that you can snap it off the track without breaking it. Go slow, be careful. You'll get the hang of it! (pun intended!) [;)]

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

jobenoit

May 23, 2012
I have the type of C clip that Dubbya is talking about. In fact I just removed my curtains today so that I can replace them with the new ones I made.

I did something similar to what Dubbya was explaining except I used a pair of very skinny needle nose pliers and gently, but firmly, pulled the bottom part of the hook down. The bottom portion of the clip popped right off the bracket with very little effort and then I just lifted the clip upwards to unclip the top portion from the bracket.

Hopefully this makes sense [:D]

jcgolden

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks all. I will go out there today and take another look.
I do remember taking the curtains off our other PUC, but that was quite some time ago.

This Avalon certainly has a lot of bells and whistles. Can't imagine we won't be comfy traveling with this.

[SUN]