Removing old flaky decals....I heard.......

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by nexus, Mar 29, 2013.

1. nexus

nexus New Member

Ok, so I have done a tonne of renovations to my 1990 Starcraft Starstream.

I am about to get into the exterior and my pinstripes and decals look like hell.

I tried a heat gun, a wire wheel on a drill, a sander, etc. Each failed. The heat gun and wire wheel in combination worked well, but sloooowwww and its spread the color of the decal.

Anyway, I heard that if you spray an oven cleaner on the decals and let it sit for 15 minutes, they pretty much come right off!

I am about to try a small area tomorrow morning (fingers crossed) but was wondering if anyone has tried this, or has another option that works!!

Remember.............these are 23 yr old flaking, but still very stubborn decals that I need off for painting.

2. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

I by no means would try oven cleaner unless your financial repaint! Go to your local auto paint store and get one of those eraser wheels. They are very fast and won't hurt the paint if you don't stay in one spot too long and get it too hot!

3. Harleymsn

Harleymsn Member

Years ago, I helped my bother at his used car lot. There was a spray decal and adhesive remover that he used to get for the auto parts store. You sprayed it on and let it set for about 15-20 minutes and then peeled it off with a putty knife. If they are painted on decals, or they have a clear finish over the decals, then the oven cleaner trick will work in most cases to get the clear off. The oven cleaner will not harm any normal automotive finish.

4. nexus

nexus New Member

Bust!!!!!!! Not on these sons a bitches! Not even the slightest peel. Oh well, the oven needs a cleaning.

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

The eraser wheel works well. Get more than one. If the decal is really old it will mar the paint badly. Some rubbing compound will help if the paint has more than one coat. Any chemical applied to the finish is going to take it off. Rub the paint with a towel too hard on a trailer and the paint will transfer. Is cheap and thin.

Good luck

J