Removing Propane Tank and Battery for storage space....

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kmeece, May 4, 2013.

1. kmeece

kmeece New Member

We never use our propane gas (we cook with dutch oven) or the battery on our pup... so I was considering removing them (keep everything if we changed our minds) and using that space for a plastic storage trunk (action packer). I thought I would just wrap bungee cords around the frame to keep it in place. Has anyone done this before or have a better idea?

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

that would be the simplest way to go but you might consider a slightly more permanent solution of using two square axle "U" bolts with backing plates. If you come up from the bottom and lock the storage box then it would be more difficult for someone to steal it.

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I agree, a couple of U bolts would work excellent. Good idea to hang onto everything for future use.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Definitely hang on to the components and don't damage or remove the lines, fittings, etc. Without these things your camper will be worth less if you want to sell it.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

X2 and cap the propane line to keep it clean.

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Does the pup have brakes?
    Do you need a battery to operate them in case of a breakaway?

7. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

You could move battery to inside of pup. Mine is under a bench. If you need it for breakaway switch it's there. I don't use mine either,but am keeping space for it in case I want it in future.

8. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

We camp without them too.
    We ordered ours prepped for a battery (has holder, etc), but we've never installed one and get along fine.

There are some nice aluminum boxes made to go in that space, if you want something more permanent.

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I was gonna give the same answer you gave until I looked up the camper and it weighs less than 1500lbs so I don't it has brakes.

10. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I cant see way pop he has, but starting in 02 coleman put brakes on all the popups.

He could get one of the mini batterys just for the brakes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

11. kmeece

kmeece New Member

Mine doesn't have breaks. It's a 2006 Fleetwood 206 LTD. Plus... when we purchased it the battery wasn't on the camper. The original owner removed it and installed a metal tool box or a small amount of storage. Since the battery was already removed, I thought we could take the tank off and have more storage.

12. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Sounds like a good idea. My used Viking had been modified in a few ways, but 1) propane tank and hoses had been removed and 2) battery had been removed. I had thought about just installing a storage box on the front as you described. But, I ended up buying new propane hoses, regulator, tie downs and reinstalled all that. And have a battery box and planning on getting that all fixed up. I usually do not use propane and battery but just trying to fix it back up somewhat origonal. Yes, just keep all of your hardware. I wish my previous owners would have.

Good luck

13. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I am removing the tank from my Taos to make a place to put the bicycles.