Removing Propane Tanks

CoolCanuck

Oct 30, 2016
Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada
OK, so I'm a bit of a newbie to this Pop-Up camper game. Planning on taking a longer trip in Sept., so I'm trying to get all of the systems up and running.

Which brings me here. Mom told me th t there are no stupid questions, so here it goes:

I have a 1997 Coleman SunRidge, with (I believe) the original 2 bottle setup, covered by that wonderful ABS "Beauty Cover".
So, I've been testing the fridge, furnace, inside and outside stoves etc., but I'm finding that both of the tanks are pretty much "MT". They're attached to the frame with the J-hooks and have the new style black hand-tightened fittings. Unfortunately, they are both Time expired given our 10year testing intervals. So, off to get new ones, I guess.

How do you remove the MT bottle's? I can't find a way to remove the front cover. Yes, the top portion swings forward, but the bottom appears to be fixed by rivets.
Do you just lift the tanks out and back in? Seems to be a royal pain in the rear if the front bunk is pulled out, no?

Am I missing something here?
Feeling a little stupid in my ignorance, however, I'm hoping to become enlightened.
Thanks

megcabra

Super Active Member
Aug 12, 2015
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Good luck with getting the rest of the cover removed. If you have J-Hooks like our 1998 Coleman has, check out this older post at #26. As I found that the Manchester tanks had the top collar holes too high for the hooks. The Worthington/Bernzomatic Tanks fit just fine. They can be identified by having 2 handles with a circular hole in the center. Also the US tanks have a 12 year requalification stamp on older models but it has been removed in the past few years where the Canadian tanks still show 10 years: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/20-lb-tank-unsafe-with-j-hooks.113165/page-2#post-1218397

DF6D24FE-9688-4F79-9E9F-EC2E2D76877B.jpeg A6F86DA6-5602-49D0-8523-959DAA07E837.jpeg

Last edited:

CoolCanuck

Oct 30, 2016
Yes, I'm using the Worthington / Benzomatic tanks. And I'm a Costco member...
The bottles are secured with 2 J-hooks each. No cross brace between them.

Still struggling to find a way to get the front portion of the ABS off. It is not hinged at the bottom (like the top portion which tilts forward), rather riveted at the bottom to the frame (in front) and to the ABS front panel (on the sides).

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
I just take mine to the dollar store, wally world, etc (almost everyone has the exchange bottles) and exchange them when the time has expired. I always check the dates for expiration when exchanging them.
I am not sure you can do that in Canada

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
I have a 1998 Casa Grande, close to the family of your model. My plastic cover was latched in with rubber latches at the bottom and just wedged into the top. It was a PITA to remove and access the tanks. However, i forgot to latch the cover one trip and it blew off somewhere on the highway.

You're describing a strange situation. The cover shouldn't be riveted to the body of the camper. How about up loading some pictures. The cover may be super tightly wedged in the tray? Hard to comment without seeing it. Good Luck!

durhamcamper

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2010
Pickering, Ontario
OK, so I'm a bit of a newbie to this Pop-Up camper game. Planning on taking a longer trip in Sept., so I'm trying to get all of the systems up and running.

Which brings me here. Mom told me th t there are no stupid questions, so here it goes:

I have a 1997 Coleman SunRidge, with (I believe) the original 2 bottle setup, covered by that wonderful ABS "Beauty Cover".
So, I've been testing the fridge, furnace, inside and outside stoves etc., but I'm finding that both of the tanks are pretty much "MT". They're attached to the frame with the J-hooks and have the new style black hand-tightened fittings. Unfortunately, they are both Time expired given our 10year testing intervals. So, off to get new ones, I guess.

How do you remove the MT bottle's? I can't find a way to remove the front cover. Yes, the top portion swings forward, but the bottom appears to be fixed by rivets.
Do you just lift the tanks out and back in? Seems to be a royal pain in the rear if the front bunk is pulled out, no?

Am I missing something here?
Feeling a little stupid in my ignorance, however, I'm hoping to become enlightened.
Thanks

Here is a copy of the original owners manual. There is nothing listed about the bottle cover itself, but might be helpful for other things.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/DOC052317.pdf?959891876048224667

It might very well be that as you stated, you just lift the bottles out. As far as it being a PITA with the front bunk pulled out, any bottle change would be difficult regardless of whether it has a hard cover or not. Just do it with the pup closed is what I would suggest. It's not like it's something that needs to be done every trip.......depending on how much camping you do. We camp for about 30 - 40 nights per year and there is more than enough propane for the season. I re-fill at the beginning of the season so it's a "once a year" occurrence. A 21 year old pup with original bottles? Wow, must not have been used much.

CoolCanuck

Oct 30, 2016
Swapped the bottles out today. Had to pull them up and out. The ABS front is riveted at the bottom, USED to be riveted to the main front ABS panel, but I'd guess, due to changing out the bottles is no longer attached towards the top.
Got to say, that's really a bad design. You have to force the bottles out and in between the ABS panels.