Removing the Refrigerator

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Gene_the_Aliner, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Gene_the_Aliner

Gene_the_Aliner New Member

Hi there! I'm new to the forum; we purchased an immaculate used 2018 Aliner Scout in March, and we've travelled to 28 states this year with our family of four!

We prefer to camp in National Parks or forest sites (usually without electricity), and rarely stay in one place for more than 2 nights. We've found that we really don't use the refrigerator (so far we've used it as storage for bear spray, lol) and are thinking of removing it. We understand it will devalue the camper, but we have no plans to sell and will keep the refrigerator in a shed. Has anyone taken out their fridge? Tips? We'd like to put in an extra cabinet for more storage.

WrkrBee likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Many have and most then use the space for a cooler. [LOL]

3. Gene_the_Aliner

Cool - is there anything I need to be aware of, especially with wiring or blocking the vents to the outside?

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I have found that there isn't that much space to be gained over just using the fridge as storage.

5. Dnodoz

Dnodoz Member

We replaced our fridge this year. If you take it out and don’t replace you’ll need to create some kind of insulated panel to go over the vents. It will need to be pretty tight on the edges to prevent pest intrusion. You’ll need to get a brass fitting from local hardware store to plug the gas line. 120v just unplugs from an outlet behind the fridge. Last step is cap the 12v wires off or use to supply something else.

It would give you some good space based on how ours looked before putting in our replacement.

Allamakee County likes this.
  6. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

That's a crazy amount of states in such a short time, there's so much more in our own state to see, and we've been traveling here for over 30 years. Are you just trying to see how many states you can see in a year?

NHHAPPYCAMPER likes this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. It's good to hear from Gene again. If you pull the fridge out, it is plugged into a 120v receptacle. It is only 120vac, so no gas to worry about. You could take a black RTV type sealant and fill the vents or use it to glue strips over the vent holes. Another possibility, is to use black or white Lexan panels to fill the holes. OK, another: The vents could be removed and outside storage doors added.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  8. Chris I

Chris I Member

We went the other route for boondocking and got a small solar generator setup (200w solar panel and Ecoflow River Pro Sogen) so we can run our Scout fridge for 3 days without sun, or indefinitely if we get a few hours of sun per day. We don't have to buy ice, or worry about coolers warming up over time.

Removing the fridge is quite simple. If you open the access panel, you'll see it plugged into the outlet. Unplug it and then remove the fridge. You could replace the vent panels or just tape them up if you don't want venting. I like having them, personally, as they make it easier for the Fantastic Fan to vent air out of the trailer. Air gets pulled in behind the fridge and is exhausted at the peak.

9. Gene_the_Aliner

Thank you for all of the helpful advice and information, everyone! I really appreciate it. WrkrBee...more modifications to your former aliner ;)

WrkrBee likes this.
  10. Gene_the_Aliner

We love to travel and experience new places - we wanted to get to Yellowstone from NC, and were on the road for 9 weeks total this year. We've been to 19 countries and 43 states in 17 years of marriage :) We loved Whitewater State Park in MN! You have a beautiful state.

Susan Premo likes this.
  11. George Dion

George Dion New Member

The refrigerator on my 2021 a liner classic had to be removed for service. The technician took the screws out of the front mounting plate and then discovered that the refrigerator was held in place by spray in urethane foam. The factory installed urethane foam had been sprayed along the side walls and top of the refrigerator. It took the technician about an hour to cut through the foam and remove the refrigerator, then I spent another hour scraping foam off the inside of the enclosure and cleaning up the mess in the trailer.

12. Tom Ky

Tom Ky New Member

I removed my stock fridge from a 2021 Scout and replaced it with an Engel 12V fridge/freezer combo with a deep cycle Lithium battery and we love it. Much better performance (especially in hot temps) and only uses 30AH total per day.

13. Susan Premo

Wow, I love camping too, but I'd never get my husband to travel that much! Sounds fun. He balks at a 4 hour drive, me not!

14. Susan Premo

That's how the microwave was installed too.