Removing Wobble

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by McFlyfi, Mar 18, 2020.

1. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I struggled with how to mount these- 2 on each corner, with one north south and one east west? Or one on each corner pointing around the camper.
    I settled on one on each corner- right rear north-south, right front east-west, left front north south, and left rear east west.
    They sell them as a pair so you can lock out motion in both directions. Could you figure a way to have one on a north south plane and one on an east west plane? East west on the rear and north south on the front?

2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

If I run the lock arm side to side on the rear, then I would wind up creating a very shallow angle. So the bracing would not be very effective. The stab already slants in that direction when deployed.

I don’t think the front needs stiffening as much since they are between the wheels and tongue jack already. It’s the rear that needs it the most since they are aft of the wheels, and pretty far in from the end of the rear bunk. In fact, the entire rear bunk has no support directly under it.

I’m going to adapt the Valtera design (trapezoid with a ratchet strap on the bottom) and add some support to the rear bumper. That’s where the poles for the rear bunk mount.

3. Bothell633k

Bothell633k New Member

Odd thought while looking at my phone today. They have built in inclinometers... Is there a trustworthy app that you can put your phone flat on a surface and it acts as an x/y leveler? I specifically ask trustworthy, as there is some sketchy stuff out there...

4. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

The built in level app on an iPhone works well, but you can’t get away from the limitation of using such a short level. A two-foot bubble level will be more accurate for a camper. No app needed.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

And they dont need power.

zak99b5 likes this.
  6. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema New Member

Has anyone here tried the 2x4 and rachet strap DIY Stabilzer that you see on Youtube? If so, do they work and just how much do they work? I am toying with the idea to try...just wondering if anyone has tried it and has advice. Thanks!

7. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Love it. How did you fasten them to the frame? Did you have to weld?

9. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

There is a bracket supplied with the lock arms for the ball end to go into.
    On my trailer, there is a "skirt" frame around the perimeter of the load bearing frame. It's like 1/8th inch steel. I just marked the brackets, drilled holes, and mounted them with the self tapping screws that came with it.

10. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My camper is the twin brother to yours, so that will work.

Thanks!

I'm doing a seasonal site, so a couple of extra steps in setup are worth feeling closer to on a foundation