Removing Worthless 1.9 Cu ft Dometic Frig

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

We will be removing the worthless 1.9 Cu ft Dometic Frig - which had checked out 100% in our driveway, but in practice cannot stay cold enough in hot weather - another fine product from "Bastards Incorporated" (motto: "we make your life more difficult")

It gets removed Sunday, along with the heater, for a rebuild to accommodate an Engel 12V coolbox running off our 135W solar system - this Engle (used) was a last minute purchase from friend in Nevada - it saved the trip. The propane heater gets reinstalled further aft. We may ultimately use the Engle to freeze water into ice and use our YETI as the Frig (powered by ice blocks). Then we have the best of both worlds. Cold beer and ice.

PopUpSteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol ,more of a rant then a post but i like it! Who can complain about cold beer and ice! Go for it and post results please!

3. Anthony Hitchings

Not just a rant - its a bad device, at Jacob Lake we were talking to a couple who had been on the road in their Aliner for three years (web-based work it seemed), the lady of the couple noted that the frig was not really a frig, and she had to plan meals around this limitation.

"Bastards Incorporated" was a regular skit in an Australian TV comedy show back in 1990 - it was right "on the money" (I was working in Perth, OZ).

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Huh. Our Dometic fridge works flawlessly, even without the fan mod.

5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

This

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I read stuff on both sides. As with the ac thread, some work better then others. Mine , works but not great, i reson thats because its old.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Our 3-way fridge often gets so cold on propane that it starts freezing things and I have to turn it down.

Spridle and generok like this.
  8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Ours has never been cold enough. Pulling it out and building a cabinet

9. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

IMHO, as well as on-line research (see below), the ability of all (most?) ammonia absorption refrigerators are limited to cooling 50-60 degrees (F) below the ambient temperature i.e. at 100F your food is at 40-50F. I also recently removed/replaced my 3-way Dometic RM2354 (2017) with an IsoTherm Cruise 130. It was a huge improvement in storage i.e. from 3 cubic feet to 4.5 cubic feet. The new unit was slightly smaller than the Dometic but reclaimed a lot of the space used by the absorption system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
    http://www.sundancecustomrv.com/Ammonia Absorption Refrigerators.pdf
    https://www.thedometicguy.com/blog/dometic-refrigerator-wont-get-cold-enough/

10. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

How are you going to vent the heat from the Engel 12V coolbox?

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If you relocate the furnace, won't you have to punch a new hole in the sidewall to vent it, and deal with the old hole?

12. Anthony Hitchings

Well - we did nothing special for handling hot air on the Cedar Mesa trip, and it was not a problem. On the upcoming Yellowstone trip we are trying out putting the Engel end first into the old Frig space - which locates the Engel's cooling holes right by the old Frig exterior vents - ain't that handy !? We do have a lot of opening screened windows in our Aliner - and a Fantastic Fan, we can cool it off really quickly. The propane frig never got below 54 deg F in Laughlin, NV.

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My small fridge does not have the freezer part. We only use to keep things cool like soft drinks etc... We use our COLEMAN 5-day Ice Chest in the back of our truck covered truck bed to keep things frozen. Meats and such are kept in a plastic box with lid sitting on top of the cold ice...

We usually only get three days of freezing so this is one of our burdens doing it this way... In three days we are having to head back to town for more ice and more meats...

It really works out good for us as in three days others things we like to have around are used up as well... Most often we are OFF-GRID back in the woods somewhere and for one of use to leave our camp setup is sort of a problem Who stays or who goes etc... Not easy to tear down the camp site just to head back to town for something...

A lot of pre-planning here...

So far it works out pretty good for us an dthe way we like to camp out mostly off-grid...

Our fridge is useful for us to keep. Makes a great cooler... I cut out some of the bottom compartment wire shelf for larger bottles like milk and tall soft drinks etc...

When we first start out on out trips we usually have two full large milk cartons filled with frozen ice. Then when we get about an hour out form our destination we will switch the fridge to 12VDC and it is real cool when get to the camp site. The frozen milk cartons is then our cold drinking water as we need it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019