Renogy Rover issue

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Anthony Hitchings, May 27, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

so I installed PV system in our Aliner, wired battery to Renogy Rover to loads - so that the load data would be available by Bluetooth - worked great.

I shut it down in order to add a fuse in the battery side (I shut off the PV panels first, then battery). This was at home, luckily.

Turn it back on (battery first) and no power is going to the loads !! Eff me - what a contrary system. I wound up rewiring loads direct to battery via fuse , and abandoned the load output on the Renogy Rover. This tech needs to be 100% reliable - it is not!

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I have a Renogy Rover. If I remember the manual, by default the Load outputs were on a timer. This was the reason I chose to wire to battery instead.

I also seem to recall you have to have a battery wired to battery, and the loads lead was primarly to replace switching gear. IE, if you wouldn't use it without something wired to the battery terminals.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Yes, the battery should always be connected to the battery output screws on the controller. The load output will not charge your battery. The load output screws, usually 10 amp max, can be used to control a non-monitored load, with a low voltage disconnect, usually 10.8 volts to prevent full depletion. IMO the load output is useless in a camper scenario. At one time I considered running a separate circuit off of load to provide an lvd for for my cpap, but decided it wasn't worth the effort and a separate lvd for the whole camper would make more sense.

4. slcCamper

slcCamper New Member

You can not wire the Load to the battery. The load side is optional. If you don't want to use it just connect the Battery out to your battery then connect up the solar.

But you paid for the load function you may want to see your Load volts, current and watts. Just make sure you set the Load Mode. You probably want mode 15 Manual or mode 17 on 24 hours a day.