Renting out your pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Fleetwoodrich, May 15, 2011.

1. Fleetwoodrich

Fleetwoodrich New Member

Has anyone rented out their PUP when not in use? What feed back did you get if you had rented it out? Fee's charged. Looking to rent my Coleman out when we are not using it. Thanks

[?]

2. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Do you have insurance?? No way I'd do it

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This topic came up a while ago and most people were against the idea of renting out their PUP. Renters who are unfamiliar with the specific ways to handle a PUP (e.g., have the stabs up when raising and lowering the roof on a Coleman/Fleetwood) or who don't care about things because it isn't theirs can cause a lot of damage. Personally, I'd never rent out my rig.

4. RangerBill

RangerBill New Member

I'm with you UT - for all the same reasons.

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Likely you'd need a commercial, not personal, policy.

6. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

NO WAY.
    That's like asking a mechanic to borrow their tools.
    That's like asking the FBI who shot Kennedy.
    That's like asking for the back room tour at Area 51.
    That's like asking the IRS if I could file exempt for the rest of my life and not go to jail.
    That's like walking up to the front door of the White House and asking if you Prez is home.
    That's like going to rehab and asking for a beer with dinner.
    That's like getting Charlie Sheen to clean up his act and be normal

anyone else...

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Many people do it I have considered it myself. if you look at www.fundarentals.com you can see some pricing for the MN/WI area. Also look at craigslist there are tons of people there renting out theirs. For the record the reason I didn't end up renting mine out was the weekend they wanted I was going to be using it. I still consider it and have actually posted about starting a pup rental group to network those that have and do rent them.

8. jeffanddeb

jeffanddeb New Member

Ditto with Left coast pup are you serious Rent out your pup ?? No way

9. Eagle85

Eagle85 New Member

I'm with Left Coast as well..There's NO WAY I would ever consider it.

10. turtle

turtle New Member

The dealer we bought ours from used to rent pups for a weekly rate only but quit doing it because of repair costs and they have someone trained to fix them. I just think if a dealer had issues renting them I wouldn't even think of it.

11. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

No effin way [:(O]

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Most of the people require large damage deposits and get $300 a week at least. With many pup owners the unit gets used 4-5 times a year (a week and a few weekends) so to them it means their "vacations" are paid for by someone else. Would I rent out a brand new pup? no but if I had one a few years old and could make $3,000 -$4,000 a summer off it and use that money to A) buy newer/nicer unit B) buy newer / nicer tow vehicle or C) take a longer more interesting trip than I currently can afford why wouldn't I? There is literally nothing I can't fix myself on my pup, the deposit is just that a deposit to cover "accidental minor damage" (torn upholstery, small dings,etc...) insurance coverage would be required to cover major damage or total to me it's a no brainer...if the circumstances are right

13. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

If I had a "spare" PUP I might rent it out and try to make some coin. But loaning out mine? not gonna happen. I keep it loaded with all my stuff, and I don't want anybody messing around with it. I've got it set up just the way I like it.
    MR

14. DanMistyMiller

DanMistyMiller Member

I'm not sure that I can see any upside to renting out my pup. I would never do it.

15. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

I definitely would not rent mine out.
    Shoot, I didn't even let my Dad borrow it once when he asked.
    (Before someone says "how mean!"...I did offer to let him use it if I went and set it up and tear it down. I'm not THAT mean to my Dad.)
    Scott

16. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

NOPE

17. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I would never rent out my good Pup.

However, I have looked at buying a cheaper/older one to use as a rental unit. Checking out ads around here, people are getting $50 a night, $450 a week for renting out older Pups. This has crossed my mind for a couple of years now, but I still haven't done it and I'm not sure why. You can over examine all the ins and outs of insurance, damage waivers, who buys the propane, what if they blow the thing up while lighting the fridge...... I think theres money to be made there...but

If you do, at least get some cheap foam mattresses to swap out your good ones with. I would hate any strangers doing God knows what in my bed. bleeeaaach [:(O]

18. Packman

Packman 2003.5 Bayside, 2004 Ford Explorer

I wouldn't rent out my Bayside. The first few times out I had questions and concerns on how to set it up so I can imagine How somebody brand new would feel. Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable even allowing relatives use it, mostly because towing a pop up is different than jsut driving a vehicle on the freeway. Beecause of this, why would I trust a complete strranger with my pop up. However, a cheaper lighter 2nd unit as a rental would be interesting.

Scott

19. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

UT is right--- do a search here.. I remember that thread when it was rolling-- there were some really bad stories as I recall. I think the long story short of it-- PUPs have way too many moving pieces and parts and as we all know, only WE know our PUP the best.. the ins/outs and in betweens. I STILL have to think through all of the set-up concerns everytime I take mine out and I OWN it! I wouldn't do it.. if you do, more power to ya! good luck!

20. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

To a friend or family member....sure, but not to a complete stranger, regardless of whether I got a damage deposit or not. Also seems like it would be pretty easy to get into some kind of legal conflict....he said/she said kind of thing. Not worth it in my opinion, though I guess I would consider it if I really needed the $$$$.