Renting out your pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Fleetwoodrich, May 15, 2011.

1. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

A lot of people rent campers down here to people attending Bonnaroo, the southern Woodstock wannabe. I've seen $1,500 or more for a 5er and $750 for a pup for just a few days. They do require huge deposits up front. I imagine your insurance policy won't cover you unless you add a commercial endorsement.

Not worth it to me, but it's often done.

2. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

gotta agree with everyone else, no way would I rent my pup, nor my dogs, or my hubby,, um well maybe the hubby [LOL]

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

LMAO!!!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

5. KayakDeb

KayakDeb New Member

Just a random thought:

Our Class C insurance is VERY specific about it not being used for "commercial enterprises" or rented out in any way - or else it voids our policy. Since I'm adding the PUP to that policy, I'm sure it holds for that, too? And if my "initial insurance" won't cover me - I'm not sure what would happen with my Umbrella Liability policy?

Bottom line - I'm not sure the income is worth the risk??

6. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

If it was local , I could set it up and take it down, plus a contract to get 3 times the cost of damage with a valid CC , I would do it !

We have a guy here who rents out VW camper vans mostly all vintage and he makes bank , he's got like 15 of them

7. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

We found a local guy on craigslist that rents popups (and sells them). He buys older ones, cleans them up, and when rented will deliver them and set them up for you. HIs hope is that you will buy them. We did not rent one as they were not what we were looking for.

I would have no problem renting mine out if I did not think it was such a bad idea. [;)]

8. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

You know in today's world you get back ground checks , verify funds , and obtain any and all information you need to make an informed decision about someone , are you still taking a chance ? Yes , but you can also write the rental agreement to really put the hurt on someone that damaged your pup.

9. brit

brit Loving-Life

roflmao too funny

10. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

No, No , No, No. I even have trouble letting my grown kids use it let alone a complet stranger

11. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

i didnt read through all the replys but ditto the first few posters. there's too much you need to understand about the setup/takedown and the utilities IMO to rent it out. its not like a hotel room =)
    unless you take a large deposit so you can fix/replace if they F-it up! =)

i guess if its a bargain pup than why not....if something breaks, something breaks.

12. hollywood703

hollywood703 New Member

I have "rented" ours out to a couple that we know several times. We have 2 popups now and since they are both 15 years old and didnt pay much for either, I am not as concerned about letting people take them. I did make a checklist (was made for our friends) that goes step by step on the setup adn take down, as well as a "you will need" list. I Laminated it and use a dry erase marker when we camp just to check off things that arent left in the camper. We will probably rent out our smaller one this year via craigslist again .

Would recommend them getting insurance (it is available atleast in MI it is). We also ask for a larger deposit ($400) but it is fully refundable when returned without damage. I only paid $900 (1994 8') and $1000 (1996 14') for our popups so If I get $150-200 for a 4 day weekend or more for a week or Holiday. It helps in a hurry. We even started a Savings account and put our rental money into it for our camping fund, or to purchase a new one down the road. If I had a newer one I wouldnt be so easy to let it go. We Kept the 8'r just to rent out. The plan is to rent it out for 2 summers and make enought to sell it and with the rental money buy a good used one a dew years newer then rent out the 14'. Its a small investment if you can find a good deal, and can almost get a newer camper every few years at no cost out of pocket.

13. Eanddrice

Eanddrice Member

Sorry......but there ain't NO WAY!!! [LOL] [LOL]

14. jthomas124169

jthomas124169 Member

No way. I've seen what people can do with a rented pu.

15. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Nope.....
    no even to my wife! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]