Repair, go to the dark side, or rent

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Kischka B, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Kischka B

Kischka B New Member

We have an old (1990's) Coleman pop-up, and we've loved it, but it's got a lot of issues. Both beds have been broken in one way or another and are now sketchy. We feel like they could go at any moment. Our local RV repair places says they can't even get parts for our trailer because it's so old.

We've considered getting a lightweight travel trailer instead, like a Scamp, since we don't have a heavy towing vehicle and don't want to get one, but we're also thinking that since we don't camp super often, we should just rent trailers from time to time.

So what do you all think, should we repair our existing pop-up, or is it time to move on?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen and discussions here, now is not a good time to buy a camper. Everyone and his brother are trying out camping. Normally, I'd say go for it, but there's very little supply and what's out there for sale is going for a lot more than it would have last year. I did a quick search for pop ups in the Detroit metro area on FB marketplace and craigslist, and I found three for sale in the area. Normally I'd find dozens. I'm sure it's the same story for small TTs.

I'd say fix it for this year and see what's available next year when the hotels open back up.

Rik Peery, neighbormike and Fiona like this.
  3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Try to fix and stabilize. Even if that means building a pipe structure that goes to the ground from plumbing pipe flanges and all. Just get camping.

Late fall is for buying up campers, those are the folks that lost parking and would love to meet you!

I don't know if there's every a cheap time to buy a Scamp, or a Honda generator. They don't go on sale EVER [:P]

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Look inro the rental scene in your area. Do they have a good variety? What are the average rates? Will you have to pay for storing the scamp? How much are storage fees?Then do the math.

For minimal camping per year, renting might make better sense.

I have a local guy who rents motorhomes of various sizes. A small one runs about $500 for a weekend. If you only camp three weekends a year, that's $1,500. Your repairs could run to that, a different camper could run you $5,000+ right now.

Selling your camper now will net you more than in a few years. Can you skip a year or two of camping without issue? If so, sell now, then spend a couple years saving for a scamp or for rental fees.

A lot has to do with how often is "we don't camp super often". One weeklong trip per year, one weekend every month, two or three trips per year???

Rik Peery and Steveo4090 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wait a year , you xan look though. Get some 2x4 legs for the pup beds. And tarps if needed for rain and call ot a day.

Rik Peery and 1380ken like this.
  6. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

You can try renting from Outdoorsy.com and try different models. That way, when you are ready get something newer, you'll have an idea of what you like. I took my boys to St. Anthony Sand Dunes as a graduation present earlier this summer. I couldn't pull all the sand toys and a camp trailer at the same time, so I rented from a local owner. Super easy and was nice seeing the size and quality differences between his 2020 26ft trailer and my old Jayco Baja 10Y that I just sold. That website has owners with MHs, travel trailers, camper vans and everything in between. Prices range all over the place too, so you should be able to find something that fits your needs. I paid $100 per night plus a $45 cleaning fee.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

A lot also depends on your area. Scamps are almost never available out this way and never used. Much less now during the pandemic. Sure you can sell your popup quick now, but replacing it with something else will be your biggest problem. I looked into renting a popup once and they were so expensive In this area I just didn’t see it as worth it. Even then I’m not sure I would feel comfortable using a rented camper during COVID. It’s the reason why so many people are buying campers now. I personally would rather wait until things calm down. I suspect in the next year or two the thousands buying campers now will be selling them later especially once everything opens up and people feel comfortable to travel again. As far as if you should eventually upgrade to a TT I would put a spreadsheet together with costs. Cost to store the camper if your city prohibits campers in your drive. Cost of the camper itself, cost of maintenance. Then look into costs to rent, Look into perhaps cabins Or yurts vrs trailers as that may be a cheaper option Multiply that by number of days you Normally camp.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I would repair/rig your current pup to camp this year unless you're ok not camping this year and just sell it now since the market is insane.

Anything lightweight and minivan towable (pups, scamps, Casitas, other lightweight tts) are practically nonexistent right now. Those that are for sale are gone in hours and sold for way more than they're worth. I'd wait to buy after this fall at the earliest unless you find some anomaly on the market that you're able to buy.

Renting has a lot of options normally but like said above, do you really want to rent right now? Just like staying in a hotel but usually more expensive. Some companies will set up the rental unit at the campsite for you so it's ready to go and you don't have to tow it at all. But that all comes at a price too.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If I was thinking about selling I would sell now. In fact I'm actually tempted. You'll never get a better price. Seems like the market is dropping now and will probably be pretty thin by fall. Don't know what area you're in but lots of SPs in TX have cabins or screen shelters with electric for people who don't want to haul a lot of gear. I used to use those quite often, but it's hard to get a reservation.

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

They can't get parts because the company has been out of business since Jan 2011.

11. nt40lanman

nt40lanman Member

I can't imagine there isn't anyone that can't fix just one bunk end.

12. jodiegirl66

jodiegirl66 New Member

13. jodiegirl66

jodiegirl66 New Member

I have a 1992 Coleman Destiny and my bed stopper broke. I found the part to fix it on https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/about-us. It was not a big deal, just had to remove the bed completely and install the new stoppers. For the price I paid, it's worth it to put in the repair time.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. blarick

blarick New Member

Dealers are in the business to sell. You can get pretty much anything you need for a pop up. One place to check is popupparts.com I rebuilt my Grand Parents 1971 Jayco JayKing. Love it’s idiosyncrasies.

15. gardenheather

gardenheather Member

I'm in the Detroit area too, there aren't many coming up and the two we looked at had leaks and soft spots.

eoleson1 likes this.
  16. TRACY GROMER

TRACY GROMER Member

So many factors: are you willing to spend time on repairs, do you have the storage space for a Scamp, how much do you camp, etc. Everyone has made good points. I have found after 3 pop ups and now a Scamp, that you need to be willing to make repairs yourself to maintain them. Personally, I enjoy doing the research and learning how to fix things and keeping things running and out of landfills. If you're not into that, then this is a GREAT time to sell. I went to a Scamp because it doesn't have as much set up/take down as a pup and you can work on projects like repairs or modifications just by walking in/out the door. But unless you get a new one (and I imagine there's a wait) you will likely need to make repairs, modifications or upgrades to that too. There is a learning curve with the Scamp just like pups, but also good sources for information, ideas, parts, etc. And they age well and keep their value -- I have a 1980 that is in great condition, but I also spent a lot of hours cleaning the elephant skin, repainting cabinet doors, decoupaging the table top, installing a bar, making new curtains, had the cushions all reupholstered, etc. But you may find something you like that is mint -- sounds like that might be your preference. Meanwhile, you can always go old school and enjoy the purity of tent camping. Have you considered a roof top tent? Have just bought one of those and am looking forward to the speed and simplicity of the one I selected. And the ease of storage, since it's going to live on top of my car. Best of luck.