repair needing welding

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by mickisdad, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mickisdad

mickisdad New Member

We had a minor accident with our pop up and one part of the tongue had the weld break from the frame of the camper. How difficult of a job is it to have someone (a repair shop or someone with welding experience) to weld it back into place? Would the whole camper need to be torn down seeing as where the weld would need to be done? It is a late 80's Coleman Sun Valley.

I appreciate any replies.

Thanks
    Sean in MD

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

As far as the repair, a welding/trailer building shop shouldn't have any problems.....it would probably be beneficial to beef up the damaged area with some more steel....most PUP frame members aren't too beefy!

I would be concerned that a collision/accident hard enough to snap a weld might have caused some frame twisting...make sure things are all nice and straight and that the roof goes up/down without any 'new' binding issues.

Good Luck!

3. mickisdad

mickisdad New Member

I think it broke because the hitch pin came out and the tongue hit the ground.

Sean

4. to old for tent

to old for tent New Member

To have the ablity to camp I use 40hrs a week running a weld shop so here it goes..Any shop should be able to square you away in less than half an hour IF there is NO futher damage to your frame ,generally the cost will run between fifty and one twenty a hour for set up and labour fees..if your anywhere within 100miles of Baton Rouge la. Id be more than happy to do it for free so heres the next best thing...call your local high school and there instructor would probably have it done for FREE just to let the guys have the experence under his SUPERVISON..any way there u have it..to old for tent...happy trails...

5. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Great Advice! Another option similar to the high school shop would be a local community college/technical school. Most offer welding courses.