Repairable? Or Replace?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by jgelety, Apr 29, 2016.

1. jgelety

jgelety New Member

Ok so while lifting my top the other day the 2 rear posts collapsed. I assumed the cables had broken. But after taking the covers off I saw the 2 bolts at the end of the cables had snapped off the plate they were screwed in. My hope is that I can somehow drill out the pieces in the plate and rescrew the remaining bolts. Or somehow repair it without having to replace the cables. I have a Jayco Heritage Glacier. Below are the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

if you buy replacement cables I believe they will utilize replacement eyebolts instead of an integrated cable bolt. It is possible you have enough life left on the bolts to just unscrew the nuts and put them back on. You probably have enough length on the ending of the primary cable to fudge in the direction to give you enough space to put the existing bolts back in the plate.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

3. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

Autocorrect. You probably have enough length left on the bolts.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

For what new eye bolts cost and as easy as it is to replace them, do all four.

Bend the eyes sideways, slip out the old ones, insert the new ones and bend them shut then tighten them up and make sure your cables are running true. Crank up the roof and adjust the eye screws to level the roof and you're done.

Again, make sure to check out what was binding that caused the eye bolts to open up. You probably need to lubricate your pulleys, push springs and lift posts.

5. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

Jgelety has odd cables. The cable is integrated into the bolt. Id consider buying a new set of cables _ mine cost about $50, i feel much safer now.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

7. jgelety

jgelety New Member

I ended up cutting the bolts off leaving the portion that the cable is secured in. Then used cable loop clamps to make loops at each end. Then used new 5 inch eye hooks to bolt into the plate. After adjusting it they all seem secure and worked well. I raised and lowered the several times with no issues. This is a temporary fix because I'd rather replace all the cables anyway. But will get me through the next month of camping until I'm ready to rip the trailer apart to replace the cables. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

8. jgelety

jgelety New Member

On a side note. Which cables do I need to order for this trailer and where's the best place to order them?

9. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

10. jgelety

jgelety New Member

Yea my plans are to replace all 4 cables. I may even replace the main cable too. Luckily all 4 cables look to be in great shape. Only had the issue with the bolts at the end bending and breaking. My "fix" seems to have worked and after looking at the replacement cables basically look just like them. I'll at least replace the 4. I'm just not looking forward to tearing apart the trailer to get to it all.

11. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

We have a Jayco Heritage Cascade and corners look tricky to get to as well. I was wondering if we ever need to do this, if attaching fishing wire to the cables would help in switching them out. I'm not that mechanically inclined as you can tell by my gender symbol. [;)]

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.