Repaired it myself!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by abc123, Sep 5, 2015.

1. abc123

abc123 New Member

We got a great deal on a 2007 fleetwood niagara for 4300.00! They were selling it because they had got side swiped and thought damage was major. After viewing I saw no structural damage, just cosmetic. It was one owner, garage kept and super clean. We purchased on the spot.

I took it to 2 different repair shops to get quotes. Both were around 1500.00. However neither would tell me a time frame of when they could repair it. Frustrated by their non interest to repair, I decided to tackle it myself.

So for just about $300 in total materials I repaired it myself. I must say I gave myself a pat on the back and pleased how it came out. Was even happier to sell our 2000
    Starcraft 2410 for 4000.00 to the first caller after posting on Craigslist for just 2 days!

So with materials and difference in selling our pup, we got the Niagara for $600.00 : )

Here are some pics of before and after

Attached Files:

2. abc123

abc123 New Member

More pics

Attached Files:

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nice repair job.. By looking at the before pictures I don't think it got side swiped like the PO said. Looks more like it got banged up while being pushed into or pulled out of the garage it was stored in. Either way a great buy and great repair..

4. abc123

abc123 New Member

A few more. The grey n black water valves got ripped off so I re plumbed it also.

On our trial run this weekend. Everything good so far. Love the hard wall shower/toilet. NOT a fan of the 3 way fridge. I will probably change it out to electric only. It is to slow to get cold. We will rarely boondock. If we did, I would take a quiet Honda generator!

Attached Files:

5. Jimmy the rug

Jimmy the rug New Member

Wow great job congratulations job well done

6. abc123

abc123 New Member

Thanks Snow.

You never know. The paint/pin stripes did have swirl marks like a tire got it. The weird thing was they said they never felt it! Just behind the wheel trim you can see paint and stripes still messed up. I will touch it up or maybe cover with diamond plate.

7. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Pat yourself on the back with ease.
    [​IMG]

8. abc123

abc123 New Member

Thanks Jimmy and LOL swordfish!

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Fantastic job...nice save!

10. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Nice, Nice.

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Thats a no-brainer on that one. Good price, easy enough fix. Great job on your part.

Keep the 3 way fridge in there and do the fridge fan mod that is all over the Portal. That fridge will cool down fast and get so cold you'll freeze your pops.

12. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

I think I would have run the diamond plate around the whole unit. I like it! Good Job!

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Kudos, sir, for your gumption and acumen. In this "it's cheaper to repack it" world, it is nice to see someone fix something, and do a nice job of it. It looks great, and you can put your hands on your hips and admire it with pride.

Generok.

14. abc123

abc123 New Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. We took it out over Labor Day weekend for our trial run and everything worked great. Shower, toilet, micro, ac, radio, sink, hot water heater, fridge/freezer, black n grey tanks....all was good with no problems.

Yes mschepac I like the diamond plate also. However that section was $75. Would cost $$ to go around. I original wanted to cut the back of the popup all the way across, use that section to repair side so the pin stripe would match, and put diamond plate across the back as it would match the diamond plate on the front.

I decided nobody can see both sides at once.

15. Igoo65

Igoo65 Member

Abc123, I just wanted to say great job! I have a 2005 Niagara and it has some damage to the drivers side front corner. The vertical trim piece on the corner that covers the screws was bent in the collision. How did you straighten your trim piece, or did you have to replace it. If you did have to replace it, where did you get one? How did you attach the diamond plate and what thickness did you use?
    Igoo65

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Kudos to you. That damage did look scary. Then again I'm not very good at repairs, but getting better when I realize I'm saving over thousand dollars.

17. abc123

abc123 New Member

Hi Igoo65,

The vertical trim piece I straightened out myself and then touched up with some paint. I just beat it with a rubber hammer and used a pair of pliers and screwdriver to straighten. I did buy new rubber insert to cover the screws.

To straighten it I did completely remove it from trailer. When I put it back on I put new putty so it sealed well. It is the putty that comes in a roll and has a paper wrap. Not sure of technical name.

My local rv dealer had the rubber insert. It was .25 per ft. They probably have the trim but I did not ask. I did buy the trim that connects the diamond plate and original side panel together.

If you cannot find any locally let me know and I can ask if they have it or at least what the trim is called. The store is just down the street from my business so I stop in frequently. If you need I can buy for you and ship.

Thank you jmkay1. It was nice to save the money. I am sure the repair places will give me a call when their work slows down. Then my minor repair will be important because they are slow and need jobs!

18. abc123

abc123 New Member

Igoo65

The diamond plate is 1/16 thick. I had a 15" tall by 4' piece cut and a 1" lip bent at the bottom. After I cut away the damage from the side panel I had screwed the diamond plate from underneath the trailer with self tapping screws. I then drew the angle I needed to bend it with a sharpe marker. I cut and bent it using the angle iron on my utility trailer as a straight edge.
    I then screwed it on permanently with the self tapping screws from under trailer.

After that I put the flat trim to connect the diamond plate and original side panel together. I made sure they overlapped each other about 6". Again putting the putty behind the trim to seal and then screwing...well I actually pop riveted that trim to really suck the two panels together very tight. Pop rivets very easy to use and can buy gun at Harbor Freight.

Once all done, the last thing was the vertical trim and that was it.

The piece of diamond plate cost me $75.

19. abc123

abc123 New Member

Here is a close up of the trim. You can see it still has some scars from damage but I painted over it. I did cut a line with my hacksaw right where it makes the bend. I had to reshape it and it was not bending where I wanted it to.

Attached Files:

20. ricko

ricko Member

Great work - Thank you for sharing with pics.

This will come in handy if we ever have to do it to ours.

Ricko