Repairing Leaks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Artist60164, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Artist60164

Artist60164 Active Member

My daughter got a popup before I did. Hers is a 1997 Apache. We want to remodel but it has many leaks. I know we have to roll it back down. But then what?

Attached Files:

2. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I love those old apaches! To fix leaks, you have to find them first. is water coming in from the roof? does it leak when both open and closed? the side seams? lights or other places the wall or roof is penetrated? I don't think those campers have anything on the roof, but I could sure be mistaken. Once you determine where the water is leaking in, you can see how to fix it. On that style, I'd bet on the seams where the walls meet, or maybe where the roof overhangs the wall seams. usual fixes would be a a sealant or coating. On those fiberglass folding apaches, I think there are gaskets along the edges that may need to be replaced.

as far as popping it up, I'm sure you will have to "unfold" it to find the leaks, you may have to use a hose on the roof to do it. Good luck!

3. Artist60164

Thank you so much. I leaks most by the bedrooms.

4. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I assume you mean the seams where the sides and the bed ends come together? If so, check the material that is supposed to make the parts fit in a water-tight manner. are they split or worn? You could also try looking for areas you see daylight coming through the panels that fit together when it is up. finding leaks on old campers requires a lot of investigation to figure out what was originally there to make it leak proof and thinking and research to find something to substitute for the missing seal or gasket. again, good luck to your daughter, and you if you are helping to figure it out

5. Artist60164

We never saw any gaskets or seals. Are they on the inside of the walls that come together. Sorry to be so stupid about these things. We need to make it water tight before we can remodel.

6. penny

penny Well-Known Member

well, I don't have one, but some friends used to. It was quite a while ago that we went camping with them using that camper, they have moved and I'm not in touch with them anymore. I seem to remember a rubber sort of gasket that ran along the edges of some of the end panels to prevent a gap for the water to run in. I wonder if there is an apache pop up group on line, or if the people your daughter bought the camper from could give you information about it. It's not ever stupid to ask how to fix things! Sometimes with older campers, you just have to look, see what should be there and then find a substitute that will solve the problem. I would think a stick on tubular gasket material applied to the edges of the panels that come together would solve the problem. Again, look for daylight or places that act as water channels. If there are no seals of any kind along the edges, I would imagine water runs right in. I would try to find pictures of that style of camper on line and try to figure it out that way.

7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

If you do a search on this very forum, there is a thread on apache fold up campers. It has good information and links to a thread for restoring Apache campers. I don't know how to link the thread here, but it is titled "vintage apache pop ups---too much for a first timer?" so just search for it. good luck!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

That ain't a 1997 Apache. They went out of business in 1986.

There's not much to leak on an Apache. The roof only had one vent. The bed ends my leak a little around the windows because they are on a slant. The bed ends may also leak a bit where the bed roof meets the trialer roof. I used wide stick on foam used for a pickup cap to seal that area.