Replace awning bag

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by BirdsNest, Aug 8, 2017.

1. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

The 11 foot awning on my RT13 is in really great shape (mostly). But the bag is falling apart due to sun rot, and there is too much damage for simple patching, so I need to replace the bag. I can do the cutting and sewing to make a new bag, but I don't know what type of material I should use to make it durable and hopefully resist new sun rot for a while, or where to get the material at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Take it to a local boat/marine cover place or an auto upholstery shop.. They should be able to make a new bag pretty cheap..

3. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

That's a good idea. I'll check around to see if I can find a local place that will do it.

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

You can find marine-grade vinyl at JoAnn fabrics and similar places. Even better, you can order it online or Ebay. I was just looking for some in a bright white to make a camp screen for my projector. Ebay had it in 5ft wide rolls, and cut in 5, 10,15+ foot lengths. Pretty cheap if you're willing to do the sewing yourself.

5. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I love http://www.sailrite.com/ for my material purchases. They have had most everything that I needed for my repair project.

ezakoske likes this.
  6. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I second this - sailrite has a huge selection, great customer service, and reasonable prices. I recently refurbished an old awning from the ground up and got everything I needed (except replacement awning poles) from them.

ezakoske likes this.
  7. mrbruce38

mrbruce38 New Member

I had the same issue with the awning bag. I am right on the west coast of Florida and there are TONS of boat top places. Sadly they all seem to be shysters, what they wanted to make the bag and attach my old awning was almost as much as a new one, I would have saved a whole 50.00 bucks so I bought a new awning for 239.99 for the 12 foot Dometic and now I have spare hardware for it as well.

8. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Wow. I'm definitely not paying ~$200 just for an awning bag! I'll go without the awning if that's the only option. I'm hoping someone local can do it cheap. Otherwise I'll check out sailrite.com and decide if I want to try to sew one myself. I do have a sewing machine but I'm not sure if it could handle the thick canvas/vinyl.

9. moonpost

moonpost New Member

I called around to a bunch of marine places and they were "so very busy" that it wasn't even feasible for me to attempt an appointment (I guess that's the nature of being in boating in Minnesota - the season is short and busy). I instead was very fortunate to spend 1.5 hours with a friend who has an industrial sewing machine and some surplus canvas in the exact shade of green I wanted and while I dismantled the old bag for the rubber insert thingie, he cut and sewed the new one. Cost me one of those huge cases of beer and it is better than the original was. So, maybe ask around in your network of friends - you might luck out, too!

David D. D.. and thethird152 like this.