Replace duct tape with what?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by undara12, Jul 26, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Sounds like you are making some progress in your thoughts and a good plan.. : )

Undara I could be completely wrong.. it was just a suggestion to try. Of course, and RV CENTER could fix it for you, but I was looking for ways to perhaps skip that since they are SO DOG ON expensive. I seek to avoid them as much as possible..

I'm just a "crafter" and I do a lot of things that are Unusual.. I just get lucky I guess.. LOL

I really seems by looking those Pictures that you may only need to worry about the "TOP" of those corners, when it comes to the Leak???? (perhaps getting into the roof?)

IN MY OPINION, the key is to get the WATER to go somewhere else...(direct its flow) Which is mostly why I suggested some KIND of filler in the gaps, behind the TAP.. forcing the water direction...

This might be a consideration TOO?.. DID you know you can by Styrofoam at Lowes or a craft store? Or it maybe even possible to cut up a styrofoam cooler and fill in the gaps.. Perhaps a 'corner" on a styrofoam cooler would fit in the hole?

quote: The spray foam looks good on paper but I have not been able to verify that it will not react with Styrofoam.

ALWAYS GOOD TO VERIFY....AND TEST...

sorry to hear that.. I really like using the SPRAY FOAM INSULATION for homes to fill in gaps. I have never had any type of reaction from it.

However, there is a con to using it, because it is a MESS to get off, once it expands and dries.
    And I "imagine" the tite bond would be the same way..

I DON'T know if the "TITE spray foam reacts to styrofoam"

It does say it BONDS to most building materials: wood, metal, stone, brick, and pvc.

Good luck with it.. I know things like that can be frustrating.. Just keep in mind.. Camping fun is a head of you : )

2. undara12

undara12 Member

I'm not frustrated the least bit. My wife calls me a "fixer" because I always would rather make a repair myself and have fun doing it.

Along those lines, I have been repairing my old white water canoe for years. The canoe is made of ABS and I have scraped it across many rocks in the river. When it comes time for a patch, I cut one out of flat ABS sheet and glue in on using Goop. The ABS has good shear strength and the Goop holds amazingly well, so I'm good for the next couple of years of rock scraping.

There are instructions on the Internet for making this sort of canoe patch on irregularly shaped parts of a boat. The ABS patch is heated in an oven to a point where it pliable and then slapped down onto the boat. In theory, the patch will cool and take the shape of the boat. Goop the patch to the boat and wait a day or two for it to fully cure.

Could this work for patch over the corner holes? One thing to consider would be that the Goop bond is permanent. I have never been able to remove a patch for a boat in a non-destructive way.

Now, I have been assuming that the plastic caps are made from ABS but they seem to different flexing characteristics than the ABS sheet I cut repairs from. They almost feel like polyethylene. Do you know if the plastic used for the caps is really ABS? This doesn't really matter to my repair but I am curious.

I appreciate the ideas and please keep them coming.

landon6062 likes this.
  3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

LOL,

quote: I'm not frustrated the least bit. My wife calls me a "fixer" because I always would rather make a repair myself and have fun doing it.

My hubby says the same thing about it... BECAUSE, If I can fix it. IF I break it, then I buy a replacement.. lol.. I am going to try, and I do have fun doing it too.

So most of my helps to other people come from my own passion of the "do it yourself" personality.... LOL

Not SURE about your ROOF.. MstrBill seems to know a great deal about those things..

I have a 06 fleetwood, Niagar. I see yours is a "2006 Fleetwood Santa Fe"

There does seem to be some confusion over the ROOF during those years on the FLEETWOODS, I can tell you YOURS looks a bit different from mine..

My ROOF is Aluminium and my caps appear to be Plastic..

Hey, It suddenly occurred to me.. How about some kind of "HEAT SHRINK WRAP" now that would be a Permanent fix. There are different kinds.. IE: Rubber, vinyl, it does have to be HEATED to conform, but it is some thing you might check into??

OR this "FIBERFIX" wrap.."PERMANENT WATERPROOF" i just found on Amazon looking for "heat shrink wrap"..

Make sure you read the reviews...(I always read the reviews.. lol, seems like some Positive reviews on it..)

I'm certain you are going to find a solution...and now I am learning through YOUR experience.. : )

donna

Here is a link on the FIBERFIX

https://www.amazon.com/FiberFix-Rep...UTF8&qid=1532792560&sr=8-4&keywords=fiberflex

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

There is no replacement for duct tape. Duct tape is like the force; it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

WrkrBee likes this.
  5. undara12

undara12 Member

My roof appears to be a composite of aluminium, Styrofoam, and very thin plywood. The Styrofoam is exposed in the big hole that I want to fill. The caps are plastic.

I looked at the the Fiberfix but it appears that to get strength, it has to be wrapped around something. I don't think it would help in my case.

I called the manufacture's customer service for Loctite Tite Foam and was told that it was not solvent based and would not damage Styrofoam. I said "It says on the label that it was a extremely flammable and could cause a flash fire. That sounds like a solvent to me." He said, "The propellent is flammable, not the product." I guess that makes sense.

Anyway, I am going to clean the area first, put some kind of packing in the hole because it has no bottom or back, and try the foam. I hope the foam will stick to the roof material and I can sand it to the shape of the inside of the cap. I will then cover it all with Geocel RV sealant or maybe Eternabond tape. I am still thinking about how to attach the caps at the bottom where Fleetwood used butyl rubber tape. I don't want this attachment to be permanent.

It will probably be several days because I am hampered by a five week old, total knee replacement, but I will report results.

Thank you to everyone who responded. If anyone has heard of one of these roofs spontaneously combusting because someone used the wrong sealant, please let me know.

landon6062 likes this.
  6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thank you for sharing Undara. Very wise of you to call and check on those products and thank you for sharing that information too...

I do hope this works for you, and will look forward to your report : )

Quote: My roof appears to be a composite of aluminium, Styrofoam, and very thin plywood.

I think we must have the same roof, I know I saw the same things in my roof, when changing the Gasket on the a/c.

Just our of curiosity, Where are you located?

Be careful and do take your time having that knee replacement..

donna

7. undara12

undara12 Member

Hot and humid North GA. Winder to be exact. But it will cool off soon. Maybe we can get in a trip to Cherry Hill this fall. Too bad they close for the winter.

landon6062 likes this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Well Howdy Neighbor, you are just a hop skip and jump from me...lol "kinda" .Nice to meet you... Yeah, certainly looking forward to it cooling down.. We will be camping this weekend, in the Florence, SC Koa. I am Hoping this little cooler spell will last, and it not RAIN the WHOLE weekend...

donna

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would want the fix to be permanent, stick it with the tape! Nothing would be worse then it flying off or catching wind underneath going 65 mph! The foam should stick, you might need to do it in steps though. When that stuff builds up it tends to give in to gravity . If it helps, it will not stick to garbage bags, so you can tape off the area with some or use on the inside so it dosent squirt out . Disclamer: I have done this on a giant Halloween spider. So your results may very.