Replace Inside & Outside Speakers, as well as Upgrade Head Unit- 2010 Niagara

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by kmh1596, Aug 20, 2013.

1. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

The factory inside and outside speakers on our 2010 Niagara, while useful to have, left a lot to be desired. We use it in the afternoons or evenings when getting ready for dinner, as well as some mornings; never loud enough for the neighbor(s) to hear the music, unless we are with them and they want to hear it.

Before:
    [​IMG]

For the outside, I had to drill out the rivets, and then assess what was behind the speakers. The walls were empty, so I used some polyester batting from an old pillow to fill it in a bit and improve the sound deadening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also had a hard time finding the 3/16" rivets that had a grip range of ~1". Once I finally found them at a local Fastener business, they were ~ $.35 each! [!] worked like a charm. I used butyl tape under each speaker, and then caulked around them when I re-caulked the roof.

AFTER: (sorry for the poor angle)
    [​IMG]

INSIDE, BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

INSIDE, I had installed a set of Poly Planar 5" speakers that I had--the sound quality was poor in comparison to the 6.5" that it should have, so I picked up the Rockford Fosgate ones (see parts list below).

Poly Planar ~5":
    [​IMG]

Rockford Fosgate, AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]'

[​IMG]

Parts Needed:

Inside Speakers: Rockford Fosgate M2 M262 Marine Grade 6.5" Component Speakers_White
    http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-M262-6-5-Inch-Component-Speakers/dp/B001SPRNCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012094&sr=8-1&keywords=rockford+fosgate+6.5+marine#productDetails

Outside Speakers: JBL MS6200 6.5" 2-way Marine Speakers. They have increased from $58 that they were last week.
    http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS6200-6-5-Inch-Marine-Speakers/dp/B0013D210U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012038&sr=8-1&keywords=6.5+jbl+marine

For the head unit, I used a JVC KD AR860 that I had from a previous vehicle.

[​IMG]

Butyl tape for under the speakers to help seal between the camper body and the speakers. (~$5-$10 for a roll from your local RV dealer)

Rivets: $3

Caulking: I caulked around the speakers afterwards, with the Sikaflex 221 that I was using on the roof edge seams. A tube of that costs about $13.

2. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

Nice upgrades!!!!!#

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Nice job, that thermostat looks familiar...

4. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

;) I know a guy who is a genius when it comes to knowing what thermostat would be a perfect factory replacement.

5. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

And so the mods begin.... [;)]

6. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Hey... You don't know me! [:O]

Okay.. maybe you know me all too well. [8D] The mod list is only growing. [:D]

Here are two more pictures of the install. The inside one shows the polyester batting that was put in there, which helped deaden the vibration from the speakers when volume is high. The other is a straight on shot of the old vs new, on the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

I want to do the same also, I looked at my outdoor speakers and the rivets scared me. [:O] Nice updrades and I bet it sounds fantastic!

8. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Took me longer to get the drill out than it did to drill them, seriously. Don't be afraid of it. We could have used other methods to re-mount the speakers, but didn't feel that sheet metal screws would hold very well being how thin the sides are. So I found the right rivets for the job, and I am 110% happy with the results. The JBL speakers from Amazon that I posted were also inexpensive and a perfect fit. Had to re-drill two of the holes, but that, too, took longer to get the drill out than to do it.

9. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

Hmm...I'm going camping this weekend so I'm going to look to see what all it would entail. I looked at the radio not too long ago to see how it was mounted because I'm probably going to update that also. I just have a hard time wioth the thought of drilling in to the side of the pup.