Replace lift post, Goshen lift system(how to)

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by 2001pup, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 2001pup

2001pup New Member

I spent alot of time searching this website for this post, and this is one of the few things I was unable to find. I had some rotten wood and it caused the top post to bend and snap. I have been working on replacing the roof sides, however today I finished one side and needed to repair the post so I can move the camper. I originally thought if you removed the springs from the bottom, you would be able to pull the posts out the bottom. I was incorrect.

Slide the bed out and prop it up on the side that needs replaced with something, I used a short ladder.
    I used a 2x4 to hold the roof up while i completed the rest.
    Lower it down onto whatever you are going to use to prop it up.

[​IMG]
    First removed the bolt from the top of the post

[​IMG]
    There is about 10 screws on the inside of this piece. Remove them and this piece.(You can see the ladder I used to prop up the other end of the bed) This holds the rail, so make sure it won't fall after removing the screws. Also, my canvas is only down because I am working on the roof. You do NOT need to take it off to replace a bent or broken post.

[​IMG]

Take the screws out of the flat side of the last piece shown here. There is also a small corner piece that I forgot to take pictures of. Its two screws and cant be mistaken. Then you must scrape some caulking off, not alot though.

[​IMG]
    I took my spring out of the bottom, which was unneccesary, that is why the telescoping post is sitting flat. I did this again without taking the spring out of the bottom, so I am sure it can be done both ways.

It easily lifts out from here. there is a small piece in the bottom that pushes out and the telescoping posts slide right out after you get this piece out. I took a picture of this too, however my photobucket is deciding to not work anymore. Also please make sure that the posts are the same before putting them back. I urge you to do this, because I did not. Thats how I know you can do this both ways. My old post was 28 inches long and the new one was 23 inches long.

This is actually very simple to do. I had it back together in under an hour with no guidance. I would also measure the fully extended height before you take the old one apart so you can get it set back to the same exact spot. Best of luck.

ounate likes this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

bump

3. CW5150

CW5150 New Member

This is good info. I actually have bent roof bracket where the post attaches the roof that I am going to fix this weekend. Looks like I can just prop up that side of the roof and swap it out.

4. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I ordered my posts today. The 3 inside ones and Goshen said they will come out the bottom but to replace the main one you have to take the bed rail out like the above post is doing. I measured mine and it it 24". My clearance out the bottom with the camper level is 22". I will have to raise 3" to pull the post out the bottom.I can do that with my bal leveler. Wish me luck.

5. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

The small piece is the wedge that holds the 3 inner piece tubes in the main post. If I can take the lift spring out of the bottom and remove this piece the 3 inner posts should fall right out.

6. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

The top piece that goes to the bracket looks different on mine . The post piece is straight and goes in the slotted part of that bracket. yours is the opposite, bent slightly and goes on the outside. I just got a brand new post and it is straight with no bend.

7. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Thanks for the info 2001 pup! I replace my post and did most of this like you did. I had to take my spring out of the bottom but other than that it went as planned. I made a platform out of plywood and 2by's to put on an atv jack to lift the bed up to the proper height and it worked great. Im trying to pass this info on so that I can help others. Again thanks for the pics and directions [:D]

8. zackmom

zackmom New Member

Where can I order these brackets?

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

From Goshen manufacturing company. Google them and call.

10. Jhardy

Jhardy New Member

Old thread I know. As I'm doing this same repair.. I am curious. Does the main post with the tabs screw to the side walls? I would assume so as there are holes for a screw . As I'm replacing mine there were no screws in mine. Just make sure I'm doing this correct

11. Robert Hornung

Robert Hornung New Member

I am working on building a new roof for my 1995 Dutchmen 1204. I also have the Goshen 1473 series lift posts. The lift posts sit in the center of the top rail like yours. So if I were to attach a new side board and completely lower the lift posts, the new sides would rest on top of the camper rail instead of outside and below the camper rail. I know my roof brackets are slightly angled. The only way I can see how to attach the new wood to the roof brackets and not have them rest on the top rail is not to completely lower the camper roof but that does not seem right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks