Replace or Grease the bearings - tips wanted

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by MyName, Jan 22, 2019.

1. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen the bearings being packed in 3-5 years, it is your time to do it. Don't wait, grease is the word. Cheapest vacation spending you'd do this week.

PS - Don't take someone's word on it - did you see them get packed?

neighbormike and MyName like this.
  2. MyName

MyName Active Member

I use a Temperature Gun. The problem I have is everyone just says "hot", a relative term. So with this temperature gun I can get an idea of the normal running temperature of my hubs. The hubs were also different temperatures, but not just one side. The sun and wind definitely contributed to different temperatures. I will definitely have to keep in mind that higher temps will happen in the Summer.
    I keep the Temperature Gun in my driver side door so I remember to test the temps at every stop (left it at home last trip).

3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

You are right, MyName. It's a calibration to what is normal. I usually feels this warm and usually won't burn my hand off. Know what I mean, Vern?

MyName likes this.